IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished out of Hammond on Friday through Sunday. On Friday morning we were anchored at 6:15 and by 6:50 had limits for three. I knew it was gonna be one of those days when I see Mr. 5-Cents and XTC sitting in my honey hole with a fish on when I pulled up. I moved 4 times that day hitting keepers in each and every spot. Ended up with ten keepers for the day, five measuring well over fifty inches. All fish caught on fresh anchovies.

Saturday started a little slower. I met Dipnet and hubby at the ramp and showed them a couple of spots to get started. I really wanted to get them on some fish because it was their first hunt in the estuary after the mighty sturgeon. Before long I see Madeline set the hook and thought to myself, and so it begins :cool: Not long after, it was her hubbies turn and he sets the hammer on a hot one. They did pretty good getting two keepers for the rope and some other fish that were turned loose. We started off slow but finally got into some. We ended up keeping two that day and letting two more keepers go. We lost a high fifties at the boat. KillerTraylor also got into some and had a limits for his boat early. All of my fish were caught on fresh anchovies that day as well.

Sunday was the day the bite stood still. I met Kentucky Hog Hunter and Saltwater Cowboy at the ramp and headed to my spot. I wanted to get them into some fish real bad today. It was windy and hard to fish where we were at. Dipnet was already on hook so we all got into formation and the waiting game began. It took almost an hour but finally my rod went off and a 50 incher was roped. 5-cents, XTC, Zaq, and Clown Mouth arrived and went above us. The area was dead so we started moving. I lost count of how many times we moved before we finally stung another fish. It was a short so back in the drink she went. We finally found a bite at the tail end of the ebb (Thanks Madeline for the call). We ended up with two keepers for today but we worked like no ones business to get them. Dipnet's hubby stung a nice keeper as well. Nice to see you Joe and I hope you guys found some fish today. Now it's time to vac pac fillets and put stuff away. I don't think I'll keep any more sturgeon this year. This last trip has me set up for awhile.

It was nice seeing some of you ifisher's out on the water the past couple of days. Hope to do it again soon. I'm glad I was partly responsible for turning Madeline and Jerry into estuary junkies. Now I won't feel alone going through winter withdrawls (SP?). Oh yea, for the ones that take offense to all the blood that was put on my boat this weekend, get over it. Save the hate mail and thread pilling for someone that has actually done something wrong. All fish that were taken will turn into something yummy real soon. Peace.......

·
Registered
784 Posts
TB - great report, sounds like everyone had good times.

We'll be fishing out of Hammond this coming Thursday and Friday - looking forward lots of action; hopefully. :dance:

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Tacklebuster, good to hear you got into a couple of fish. Like you said, we as well had to work really hard to catch our two that we got. We had four people fishing and got two. We were in the same vicinity as you I believe today. Later in the afternoon, Zaq and fishnxtc stopped by our area and tried to get in on a little bite we had going around 2:00, but it fell off just before they got there. Not a lot of action going on all day in my opinion.

Overall, not a bad day except on the way in we realize that our motor starts running on less then all of the cylinders. We made it in, but definately don't have that Yamaha power we are used to. :grin: Well, time to give Pacific Boatland a call. Don't hardly have to have this thing worked on, but when we do, Pacific Boatland is the place to go.

Here is a pic of my cousin Wayde and the two fish we got for the day. One was close to 50" and the other was like 47".

[ 06-08-2003, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Carp ]

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Peace! Good to see you out there today Tacklehustler. Your daughter had us crackin up on the radio!!!!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
We fished off tongue point today, and it was real slow.. we caught 3 fish, and two of them were keepers. I had the kids out today, and would have traded the two keepers for 10-15 shakers for them to enjoy. I guess I shouldn't complain though.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Zaq, I hope we didn't come off as rude by not accepting your bait. We bought like 6 pounds of chovies and we had several dozen smelt and some rotten sand shrimp to boot. We had decided anyway that we were going to leave and we left like 10 min. after you guys.

I am waiting for 5-Cents post and pics of all his fish. He kept saying how he couldn't keep his poles in the water. Unless is was a 5-Cents imposter....... :grin:

Pleasure talking to all on the radio today.
Ifish was out in force. Hope the haters don't get word of this!! :grin:

[ 06-08-2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Carp ]

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
First off, thanks Tacklebuster for all the help!!
We had an awesome time, and yes, you have turned us into estuary junkies!!! You have sturgeon withdrawals too, huh? :blush: Just what we need, one more place to go fishing on the weekends!!

Yesterday we tagged out, my sturgie was 46" and Jerry's was 51" and weighed 25 lbs. We also had 5 other keepers and one short.

Today we had to work a lot harder for the keepers, we must have moved 5 or 6 times! My husband caught a 44"er and mine was 46". It came out of the water 3 times while fighting him in!! For being only 2" longer, it must have weighed about 10 lbs more!! It was a real fatty!! We also caught 3 shakers and 6 flounder. We caught all on fresh anchovies in anywhere from 4'-10' of water.

Nice talking to you Kentucky Hog Hunter. Sorry about your rod trouble! :depressed: Hope you got into some keepers!

Thanks again Chris!! Hope to see you out after summers.

Dipnet :grin:

[ 06-08-2003, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Dipnet ]

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Is it just me or have I heard of WAY more flounder caught this year than in the last 15 to 20. PLEASE don't tell me I can't blame it on sealions anymore! :blush:

[ 06-09-2003, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: Salmonator ]

·
Registered
184 Posts
We started out in the sands on Saturday below the bridge but with only having shrimp with me I got tired of feeding sculpins so we moved back up river. I tried haling you guys on the VHF without any response. I am not sure why. I did end up with one keeper for two rods but that is only because I am only tagging fish over 46". I did throw back three other keepers. I was not feeling good so I went home early and stayed home Sunday.

On another note as I was leaving Saturday afternoon we saw the Coast Guard helicopter hanging over the sands just below the bridge does any one know what was going on?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Myself and the wife are going down to fish this weekend, would I launch out of Hammond and go up stream to find these spots, Tacklebuster can you tell me this. Or do I just look for the charter boats or the pleasure boats. Is there maps of the area any where around Portland easily accesible... :grin: :grin: :grin: PS. can you fish incoming after a -2ft. tide??

[ 06-09-2003, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: Sturgeon 42 ]

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Wow Sunday was slow, slow, slow. :hoboy: After showing up down low with the rest of you guys I decided to bail for above Tounge Point. So yes those were radio imposters using my name

Sad thing is I told my good friend since grade school, Brad and his wife Maria how good the fishing has been. :shrug: Neither one had ever caught a keeper sized sturgeon. We must have moved 10 times but I finally found some fish late in the day. We lost one real nice fish due to my Tuffline XP breaking... :mad: must have had a nick in it and we missed one other monster pound down :shrug: but we finally got 5 shorts and one 45" keeper in the boat. :dance: I had to work long and hard for that one fish.

On the bright side we moved so much I got to fish some new water and found some stuff that I think will produce for me in the future :grin:

:cheers:

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
I was down at tongue point sat. also. We missed out on picking up fresh bon chovies, but figured the smelt with chovie scent would work fine, it sure did last weekend. No dice! Pretty slow for us, a few respectable shakers, but no legals. We too moved about 8-10 times. Just did'nt have the mojo I guess. Was it just me, or were the sculpin bad too. Little mothers! First time we have been spanked down there. Oh well, that's fishing sometimes! The highlight of the day was meeting the two gals who were hanging around at the ramp trying to bum money to buy gas to get to portland. Boy, I've never heard that one before, it was just so unique!!
Call me Mr. skeptic!!!

Glad some of you had some real success. Thanks for the reports.
GBS

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
We were at Tongue Point on sunday. Boated about 25 shakers and 1 legal fish (45"). Looked like it was real slow right around tongue point where most were trying to escape some wind, but we found a spot that produced some biters.

When we went to Sturgeon Pauls the place was pretty crowded so maybe it wasn't as slow as I first thought!

Stopping at Clatskanie to stretch our legs, we ran into Wrightangle, (Hope I spelled it right).
He was working on some mod's to his trailer at the boat launch there.

We heard a mayday call on channel 16 about a man overboard at the south jetty. Hope everyone is OK. It shook up my two fishing partners a bit.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Thanks for the reports..I am thinking about going down there in a couple of weeks. I will let you know how we faired..

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Well, after discovering two dead boat batteries at the Warrenton ramp, we got to hang out till Freddies opened at 7:00 a.m. to get new ones. Oh well, after a slow start we ended up with 3 keepers and released 8 others. Had to really work for it tho. Smelt seemed to be the hot bait for us. Thanks CohoDependant for a
nice day on the water. Hopefully I can get back out there this weekend.

p.s. Thanks 5-Cent for the radio show, you missed your calling :grin:

[ 06-09-2003, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: TundraIII ]

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sturgeon 42,
I will tell you this. Stay away from the flocks of sheep. Just because a guide, charter boat, and twenty other boats are packed into an area doesn't mean your going to catch fish. The simple truth is that out of the twenty two boats in that area, maybe two are catching the fish. The others are just watching and getting frusterated. Move away from the crowds and start fishing. Start fishing around 10 to 12 feet of water. The area is huge so it doesn't really matter if you go upstream or downstream.
I like to fish the deeper water on the flood. A lot of times the crabs will kill you in the shallow flats on a flood. I like fishing the flats on a ebb. People have their own opinions on which produces the best but I have a five year estuary streak going that backs my theory. The area is full of bottom breaks. Find an area say 12 feet in depth, then find where it comes up to about 9 feet then drops back off again. Fish on the hump where it shallows out. The only time I will fish any deeper than 12 feet of water is on a flood tide. Then I will fish anywhere in the 50 to 70 foot range.
Bring fresh chovies and shrimp. Don't bother rigging up smelt unless you fish deeper water. Fish along sand bars that are exposing themselves on an ebb tide. Don't sit for more than twenty minutes in the same spot, and use the lightest gear with the lightest weight possible. I do not use more than 4 ounces on an ebb. If you have to use more, you are fishing too deep. I personally prefer 2 ounces. This information is worth more than 10 of my best gps numbers for that area. If you follow that game plan, you won't go wrong. Gps numbers and "hot spots" are only as good as the bite is for that day.
On Friday my favorite spot was so hot it would make your teeth sweat if you stayed too long. Sunday it was a bone yard. I finally found fish using the same method as I explained above but my gps spots were dead.

Good luck and post a report......

·
Registered
627 Posts
Tacklebuster you the Man, thanks for that report, are there any places around portland that have fresh anchovies like say on friday afternoon. I have lots of frozen smelt from Sandy and Colitz..I will be going down Friday evening to fish on Saturday.......Thankyou ... :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Call Free Willy or Tackle Time for the freshest chovies. Reserve your bait a head of time to pick up Saturday morning. Old chovies or frozen ones remind me of trying to bait up a pb and jelly samich. Yuck :shocked:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Tacklebuster,
Your logic has also worked for me on finding those Sturgeon. It sounds like you also enjoy eating them. Do you have any favorite recipes you would like to share?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts