IFish.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have the itchin to go to the coast and go salmon fishing but I have never launched out of Astoria for the ocean. I have 12 years of experience crossing Coos Bay and Winchester bay (Can get nasty) in a 18ft boat and can generally tell when to cross and not. I was just wondering if someone can advise what the weather will be like this weekend. Generally the high tide brings the wind in on the southern coast, how is it up here. Tides look perfect for a crossing on incomming and a return on high so I want to go just do not want to drive from Hillsboro is if is going to be nasty.

Thanks in advance.

Fishgetter

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
My opinion only but doesnt look good for 18' boat.

Im fairly comfortable crossing the CR in a 20' Hewes Sea Runner and Id be

on the fence leaning towards no go for this weekend.

NOAA says 2&7. Wetsands is a little nicer at 5/6 ish swells at 9 seconds.

Sunday looks a little better.

The thing is that if the forecast is slightly off and its 2&4 at 9 secs its

doable for my boat.

The reports for the river are picking up. You could take a look at the pond

and fish the river if its sporty outside.

Dont take any unecessary risk. Its not worth it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sat
N wind 15 kt. Wind waves 4 ft. NW swell 5 to 6 ft.
Sun
N wind 15 kt...rising to 25 kt. Wind waves 4 ft...building to 7 ft. NW swell 5 to 6 ft.

Looks like it would be a rough ride both days. I would wait and try it another weekend. Just my :twocents:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
We're fishing Astoria - but not in the ocean - unless a dramatic change in the forecast - and I've an 18' Striper - six combined at eight or less is my line in the sand to cross ... sloppy to run a boat that size in seas like that, you spend most of your time holding the tiller and/or the gunnel.
We'll monitor VHF - boat's name in Little Pelican or BWBF will work

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I will most likely take a look at it if I go and if it is sketchy I will fish inside.

I'm confident in my skills and I should not be asking as I have a rule: "When in doubt, dont go out" I'm only leaning because so many times growing up on the coast it was quite nice in the AM and then deteriorated when the fog and clouds burned off followed by a tide change.

I will most likely fish the river and have fun trying!!!!!

Thanks, Fishgetter

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I believe that there might be a Salmon Tourney there this weekend. If so, it will be very crowded at the ramps. If you make it out there, I would stay inside as I have heard that they are catching some chinook which you can now tag. HT

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well, now that Saturday is the last day for the ocean that changes everything. Now I'm really thinking about Saturday, I don't know yet, will decide by tonight,
SAT...NW WIND 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT. W SWELL 6 FT.
CHANCE OF SHOWERS

Dosn't look too bad??? What does everyone else think?? And it's going to be busy down there, with istock and all thats going on, might be better to just stay home and fish the river... someone please talk me into going!!

thanks
Garv

1 - 8 of 8 Posts