IFish Fishing Forum banner

Astoria sturgeon

838 views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Fish Hawg 
#1 ·
Anyone going down this weekend? Was unable to go last weekend but heading down on Saturday, out of
John day. :cheers: Any thoughts?

#2 ·
#7 ·
Was out there yesterday and free willy bait truck is there at the JD ramp from 5am to 10 am they have all your bait needs
we had a little luck off marker 3 other people was hitting them good around the point and 1 guy brought in a 60 inch monster from the 5 marker good luck !!!!

#9 ·
NS -

That store is gone. The pumps have weeds growing next to them that are higher than them and there is not a soul around. That guy specialized in selling the bait of the day anyway. Whatever he had in stock was what they were biting on!

Good to know there is a bait truck there!

:cheers:

#12 ·
Yeah we used to get bait at that store a long time ago. THere was a big guy there that I believe owned it. He always claimed to sell fresh bait and one day my dad and I walked in the back and caught him rock salting the anchovies and putting them in the fresh box. They were old bait he was trying to sell as new. :hoboy: I wonder if he is still around or alive???

At least some of the bait sellers now don't try pulling the wool over customers eyes like that. :cheers:

#14 ·
Dang that was the last fish at marker 5! Dont try there any more because it is fished out :hoboy: :hoboy:

lwagg2 hope you dont fish that area because now there will be 100 people there. I guess that will open marker 3 back up for me

[ 06-10-2003, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: 5-Cents ]

#16 ·
The gentlemen that used to own the John Day Mini Mart has been out of business for a number of years. His name was Pat and his diabetes got out of control and he ended up in the hospital for a long time with infections in his legs. Last I heard he was no longer able to take care of himself.

On the other hand Free Willy is down there with lots of bait.

#19 ·
Looks like I'll be there too on Saturday at the John Day area. If you are fishing in that area and care to call for a fishing report 503-539-8825 = Bernie. Love to share reports with others if you're willing.

#21 ·
We got the boat dance worked out and we will be in my Teal Northriver with Ifish Stickers (aft end of the sides) with light gray top and merc kicker. Will have the VHF on too. We probably won't put in until around 1000am. (Gotta get my beauty sleep, ya know.
:wink: )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.