IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone going down this weekend? Was unable to go last weekend but heading down on Saturday, out of
John day. :cheers: Any thoughts?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Plan on launching from John Day friday morning. Me in my boat and bottom feeder in his.

[ 06-10-2003, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: fishuntr2 ]

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do any of you know where I can get fresh anchovies? :shrug: I read that a person should
call in an order but I don't know where to go.
This will be my first trip sturgeon fishing so I don't know all the areas yet.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
uboatcdr - Call Tackle Time (Warrenton), they are a sponsor on the front page. :smile:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
If you are launching from John Day there is a bait truck there... Free Willy's I think. They have fresh bait.

:cheers:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Was out there yesterday and free willy bait truck is there at the JD ramp from 5am to 10 am they have all your bait needs
we had a little luck off marker 3 other people was hitting them good around the point and 1 guy brought in a 60 inch monster from the 5 marker good luck !!!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
i used to get them right across the road at that gas station from the JD ramp.do they still have them if free willy is not there?it has been a few years.NS out

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
NS -

That store is gone. The pumps have weeds growing next to them that are higher than them and there is not a soul around. That guy specialized in selling the bait of the day anyway. Whatever he had in stock was what they were biting on!

Good to know there is a bait truck there!

:cheers:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Hogmaster - Mike (FIB's son- Kingfisher85) is going to be selling the bait out of that truck this year. :smile:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Oh yes I will be back up there again but I have to take a side trip out of Tillamook seems there are salmon out there. Tackle Time and free willy both have fresh anchovies but take a look at your shrimp before you buy them. When they get busy like they have been they tend to get some that sit in the fridge to long.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Yeah we used to get bait at that store a long time ago. THere was a big guy there that I believe owned it. He always claimed to sell fresh bait and one day my dad and I walked in the back and caught him rock salting the anchovies and putting them in the fresh box. They were old bait he was trying to sell as new. :hoboy: I wonder if he is still around or alive???

At least some of the bait sellers now don't try pulling the wool over customers eyes like that. :cheers:

·
Registered
38 Posts
UBOATCDR if you are launching from JD, THE BAIT WAGON PHONE # IS (503) 338-7220. If that # does not work (503) 861-1201. She has good bait. Best of luck. :grin:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Dang that was the last fish at marker 5! Dont try there any more because it is fished out :hoboy: :hoboy:

lwagg2 hope you dont fish that area because now there will be 100 people there. I guess that will open marker 3 back up for me

[ 06-10-2003, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: 5-Cents ]

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Sunday was kinda slow all around. On Monday we found some fish, released many keepers ending up with 3 all over 52. Got into a really good bite. ( Lucky ) Took all but one in deeper water, 70 ft.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The gentlemen that used to own the John Day Mini Mart has been out of business for a number of years. His name was Pat and his diabetes got out of control and he ended up in the hospital for a long time with infections in his legs. Last I heard he was no longer able to take care of himself.

On the other hand Free Willy is down there with lots of bait.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
We'll be down on Saturday. Putting in at John Day.

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Looks like I'll be there too on Saturday at the John Day area. If you are fishing in that area and care to call for a fishing report 503-539-8825 = Bernie. Love to share reports with others if you're willing.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Interesting Info

1 - 20 of 22 Posts