IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the week in Astoria all week taking test and snuck out of class early Friday night to get some prefishing in and managed one 46" out of the slot. Saturday I put in above Tounge Point at John Day and fished in the islands. I ended the day with 14 kepers and 10 shakers. Sent the people home with 57" 56" 55" 51" 48" and 46" keepers. All caught in sandshrimp in 2-10 feet of water. I will post the pictures as soon as I get them. Just think this is still the begining.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John;
Fished above #5 and inside of #3 (east). Above #5 you can go into either the left or right channel just remeber to get shallow and the same goes for three. The deepest that I anchorred was 10 but I caught most of the fish casting towards the sand. I would say that over half the fish came out of the water, I wish I had a video recorder. Oh yes out going was the tide, my favorite.

·
Registered
184 Posts
We went out both Saturday and Sunday two people both days with only three shakers to show. We fished all around that area. I would say that there are fish in the area just not alot of them yet. Thanks for posting I am glad to see there are fish around.

We will see all of you down there this weekend as well. If you see a green ThunderJet with Ifish stickers in the side windows say hey.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey ReelMccoy I think I saw you when I was in the shallows above five. I was the the black and silver super vee with the 225 merc making a new channel on my way out, oh yes I have teal lettering onthe sides of my boat. I will only be up there tell friday then I am off to the Keys to chase tarpon but I will be back on memorial day. Good luck and just remember to get shallow!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hey, I'll be out there Memorial weekend, Sun & Mon probably. I'll be in a blue hewescraft fishing either the John Day area or Desdemona. Thanks for the info and hope to see you out there.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Steeliehunter, I've been trying to understand your description "Fished above #5 and inside of #3 (east). Above #5 you can go into either the left or right channel..." When I look at a chart I see a 3 and a 5 right next to Toungue Point and another 3 and 5 up near Washington's Harrington Point. Is there something else on the chart you can refer to? Thanks. :whazzup:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Up-4-Air let me see if I can clear things up for you. From channel marker #3 you want to go due north tell you get into 5 feet of water. Be careful and watch the tide. As for #5 you will see two channels when you reach it. The right channel will be the marked one and the smaller one to the left will go inbetween some islands. The flasts are to the left of the marked channel which can be good and the small channel to the left can also produce some fish. Just remember to get shallow.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Steeliehunter~

Do you drive an older white pickup with a GIJoe's Guide written on your boat? If so, I think I saw you heading out of Salem this morning. We followed you down West salem to the Highway, passed you and waved in a green 4runner. Anyway, just wondering "Hmm, where's HE going??" =)

So now i know, ...might have to get up to astoria soon and pound some gators~

Sublime

·
Registered
404 Posts
im so confused!! are these markers in the columbia?? wouldnt be downstream from the astoria bridge?? when i fish out of john day i fish right where the mouth meets the columbia!........john

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks for the info Steeliehunter. I'm looking forward to trip down there. :tongue:

Invader, look on your chart about 1 mile upriver, from Tongue Point. The channel markers are the Harrington Point range markers. :smile:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts