IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started out this morning just before 8:00 at Warrenton. Ran up to the bridge as I heard there was a good bite yesterday. Nothing much going on for us, saw Len Self land a couple along with a couple other guides. Decided to go back out in front of Warrenton and glad we did.

As we waited for the tide to change and were blown around (strong winds all day), my dad came up with an idea. Why not let you bait straight down, and then pull it barely off the bottom... Sure dad, do what ever you like. About 15 minutes later, I look over and his rod is gone. Not really, but we had a monster takedown and it took both of us to get it free. Fought like a demon possessed, got it to the boat, just under 46".

Second fish was after the tide changed and we started getting into the action. Another fish around 46". Decided to keep it and try to get a big 3rd fish. Not this time though, hooked a decent fish that had some weight got it to the boat and tried to grab the hook only to see it was buried and blood was flowing into the boat it went. 43.5" for the last one.

Landed one more keeper that we released and several other undersized along with numerous takedowns that didn't stick.

Here is the funny part. All of the keepers were hooked on smelt. Couldn't buy a decent fish on anchovies and couldn't keep the flounder/sculpin off.

Good luck out there!!!!

Rip'N'Lips

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Cool!! Headed out this am (Friday) and will post results this afternoon. Great job on getting into the gators!! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
We caught most of our fish last week on smelt too. This Sunday I will save myself some money and not buy so much shrimp and anchovy. Besides, I've got 40 lbs of smelt to get rid of :grin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts