IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow wow wow.
I took my grandpa out for his first ever sturgeon fishing trip(he's from alabama) today. We caught 26 sturgeon today and 12 of them stretched the tape over 42". Most of them were caught on the incoming this morning and all were caught on anchovies in deeeeeep water. We had several doubles today as well. I guess this was a good way to end the lower river season.

Seen lots of boats heading in early, so I'm assuming that others also did well today.

Glow

·
Administrator
41,369 Posts
Excellent day! That sounds like lots of fun. I notice last year that I did quite well on the "wrong" tide. I wonder if the fish move around a little more without the pressure of the river pushing down on them.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I headed out above the bridge both 6/22 and 6/23. On 6/22, we hooked two fish total all day. Just couldn't find the bite. Fortunately, the two fish were keepers. One was 44" and the other was 51" (my fish :grin: ).

On 6/23, we found a good pod of fish, and were tagged out by 7:00am with a 46" and a 45". We continued to fish the day, and ended up with a total of 5 keepers, and 9 shakers for the effort. One of the keepers that we let go was too big for the net :shocked: . Never did get a good measurement on it, but it looked to be around twice the size of my net, which measures 30" across. :dance:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Yep- Friday 6/27 is the last day down below. Signs posted all over down there and it's on the ODFW web site if you care to look.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
This closure thing is new to me, can someone elaborate on where exactly it will be closing this friday? Looks like my 4th of July plans might be getting changed. :shrug:

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Nitrobass,

You can retain fish on friday but not on Saturday. Saturday it becomes catch and release only.

READ THIS

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Nitro,
If you are planning on fishing upriver in the "open" areas, shoot me an e-mail, and I'll fill you in on some likely spots to pick up your keepers.
It will only cost you half of your weigh-in at next year's Lions club tournament! :grin:
Scott

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Nitro- Once Scott gives you the information for the upriver fishery, use that as reading material for the throne and give me a call, I'll point you in the right direction :grin: :grin:

What's up Scott, long time no hear....

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Will do, Scott, thanks! I've always fished Bonneville or Astoria, never in between(other than for bass). If sturgeon are on the agenda I'll take you up on that.
Of course I can offer up some Siltcoos info or any other info of interest. I've been fishing crane lately and will shift back to the coastal lakes now. Tight lines

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Attention Tacklebuster!!!

Hey Chris, sorry just got back on here, going through withdrawls, actually had to work this week. Lumber market is booming and everyone wants to buy, what a problem to have! :grin:

Anyway, where have you been fishing lately, I'm going back out next weekend and try for a keeper sturgeon or two. Been shad fishing and catching the big gators, I thought I saw your truck at the Fishery last weekend, but never did see you on the water.
Give me a shout, so you can show me how to really catch sturgeon, as I am just a shadow in your greatness! :sleep:

Talk to you later,
Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts