IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been out?

Thinking of heading down and checking out the sturgeon fishing this weekend. Thought we might throw a couple of traps in around bouy 20 & 22 on our way out. Never crabbed that area. Any tips or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I crabbed that area last fall and did real well. I used rings but a lot of folks use pots and chase other fish while waiting. Shad, chicken and salmon scraps all make good bait. Crab in 20'-30' of water. :dance:

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
I crab that area exclusively. Limits almost every time. Never done it this time of year, always in late fall, winter. Crab out in front of the small estuary opening where the pilings cross (tressle bay), in about 20-28 feet, don't venture out much deeper towards the cans on a strong incoming, or say bye-bye to a trap. If you do go deeper and current is strong, make sure the pot has some weight and a long rope, but it's still risky. The current runs strong. Not sure of the exchange this weekend though. I also only use rings that I drop and rotate because of theft problems. I have'nt lost pots, but friends of mine have had some stolen. If you have shad, that always does great for me. Leave some of the pieces
hanging out the bait box in spots, the crabs seem to stick around more when they have some goodies to chow on, it's always increased my catch ratio.
Good luck, and let me know how you do. I'm curious about the crabbing this time of year.
GBS

[ 05-01-2003, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
GBS
We use the folding type traps and light line. Is there too much current around trestle bay for those? Been eyeballing it for a while and wondering.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill,
I use the folding traps also. I zip tie a 5# sash weight in the bottom of each trap. I have never had one move on me. Never crabbed that area, but I have had them in some good current out around Lysters in T-Bay and never had them move.

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
never used the folding ones, they seem to be light, the sash weight would help. I use the ring traps with the sides that lift up to close them off, plus a few plain basket traps. They are sure convenient, just turn over if there are no keepers. The current is'nt too strong in the bay portion anyway, it's when you start getting out toward the cans, in deeper water.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
We use a couple of the folding ones, and they don't move, even with a big buoy. Just make sure you have plenty of rope. I wouldn't worry about a strong incoming tide, but the outgoing really rips. Even if your pots don't migrate, the floats will get pulled under. We don't drop 'em in over 35 feet of water. 22-32 seems to work pretty well out there.

·
Registered
846 Posts
If you are having problems with your floats disappearing in the tide current, try putting a 1/4" by 10 foot "leader" above your float(s), and attach a small oval gill net type float to the end of the leader. Your main float may submerge, but the little float will remain on the surface.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.