IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out of Hammond this morning at 5:30 was wondering how it would be with the nets being in the water last night, so after working it hard till about 8:30 I figured since I'm with 5 great friends I could catch a "Z" or 2 since not one pole has taken a dive this morning it was slooow... Anyway get comfy in seat put on my sunglasses pull rain gear hood over up to kill any drafts and close my eyes, then I figured I better open my one good eye for one last visiual before I could close that eye again the pole started to dance but it danced funny so reel it in catch the first fish of day and my first flounder, so release it do my fish dance on the deck get pole back out say some smack to the boys then 8:40 pole dances again now I get to dance again but also get to release a unclipped coho, toss some more smack @ 8:45 no more then 5 seconds after we all start trolling again my buddies pole takes a dive with a 15# clipped chinook "I hate giving up the dance floor" smack gets tossed back at me! 9:05 my pole dances again with a jack I had to release, dance floor is mine again later in the day another buddy got to release a jack, a few more drive buys but what we seen it was really slow... got back to Hamond at 1:00 fish checker said that only one other fish was caught in river so far today. Talked to lots of ocean fishers that nailed them. You may ask why didn't we hit ocean let me tell ya out of 5 great friends only 1 of us has a record of not chumming when in the big blue that one guy would of had a huge job task of running boat, baiting, reeling, netting, bonking and hearing the rest of us moan and groan and saying "KEEP IT GOING JUST GET US BACK IN WHEN YOUR DONE"

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Hooksetter,
Glad you guys got into a couple of fish. I was fishing the area last weekend and the only place we could find any fish up until Monday was the ocean. Monday was pretty good in the river. I saw quiet a few fish taken from the bridge to the church including three nooks for my boat. Good luck and keep those reports coming.

TB

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Way to go! Were you fishing the Oregon side? We hooked two Chinook and two Coho there Saturday on the flood. It sounds like it is hit and miss. Should be hot in a few weeks. Hope so, I'll be back down on the 16th with the boss and his boss. If I don't hook fish I might be looking for a new job. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
KF85 we were out last saturday and used fresh plug cut herring, purple lable plug cut herring and squid. Only the fresh herring got hit. We got one nate coho on a dodger/herring setup at 20 pulls, one chinook on straight fresh plug cut at 20 pulls and one hatchery coho on straight plug cut fresh herring at 12 pulls.

FYI when I cleaned the hatchery silver, it had 2 identifiable anchovies in it, one identifiable herring and two others that were partly digested, but more closely resembled anchovies. It may be worth it to try pulling an anchovie with an RSK and see what happens.
We were marking tons of bait fish, so who knows. :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts