IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 17.5' sled and I don't think I'd want to go much smaller there. On calm days you could run a 14' boat (maybe smaller) but in a relatively quick blink of an eye the weather can change. When that happens, I'm thinking I wish I had a bigger boat! When you see the weather start changing out there it's time to head back in immediately -- even if the fishing is hot.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Boat traffic can also create some unsafe conditions for a smaller boat. I have an 18 foot flat bottom sled and it can get very choppy at times. Not real fun to run or fish in when there is a lot of boat traffic. I probably wouldn't consider anything under 16 feet and it would have to have high sides and a deep v. That's just not an area you want to take a chance on. You can get in real trouble in the blink of an eye. regardless of what you use, make sure you wear you life jackets! Better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Interesting twist on the same old question!
Depends on the boat, mine is 16', but like FM said, deep-V, high sides, closed bow, brilliant skipper

Even on the calmest of days, the tidal current is STRONG - so it depends on the propulsion system also. I'm sure I've seen plenty of 14-footers out there.

·
Registered
270 Posts
14 footer, launch in the pilings on the Washington side, if your coming over the bridge hang a right and look for the small trailers, if your coming from Naselle area, youll run into the launch as soon as you can see the water, always going with the waves coming in, if it looks bad, just dont go, but you should be just fine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Respawn, that is a great question that I would like to know myself. I have a 14' with a 15HP Honda long shaft. I wounder if that application would work around the bridge?

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I would think a 14' "Alaskan" Smokercraft or Klamath (high sides) would be the smallest, no more than two people for stability, preferably at least a 20hp.

I went out many many times in a 15' Starcraft (more of a runabout style) and felt plent safe even with 4 people.

Biederboat

·
Registered
26 Posts
Under good conditions what is the smallest size boat you could get away with fishing here? Is it ever calm out there in the mornings?

Just Curious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts