IFish Fishing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
In late 2019 our daughter who works in the health care field got very sick with what she and her doctor assumed was the flu even though she had gotten the annual flu shot. She never ended up in the hospital but missed a lot of work time. To add to this her doctor came down with the same symptoms. A few weeks later the 22 year old granddaughter got sick. She never did find out if this was Covid but her doctor believes it was. As she said it was the sickest she has ever been.

My wife and I both got the Covid shots in early 2021 and this week boosters. No issues with the shots, in fact the annual common flu shot seemed to have more short term impact that the booster, sore arm. So I don't put much into all that negative about the shots as I don't know anyone that has had a bad reaction to them.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
A most interesting question is: why do the unvaccinated so vastly overestimate their past infection rate?

Some here suggest it occurs because the media “convinced” them of infection. Really?

I think it is more likely hubris and bravado (i.e. self-manufactured cases of infection w/o serious negative consequences) in an attempt to downplay the seriousness of this public health crisis.

We can in the USA hold our own opinions about all sorts of things ... but nowhere, in any world, can we create our own facts.
For many people, COVID symptoms are very similar to a bad cold or flu. This makes it easy to assume you had COVID if the timeline fits.

In my study I ask people about their symptoms if they report a COVID like illness. You can see those responses in the image below. "Test Result," means antibody test result.

To be honest I started this whole project because I thought I had COVID early on. But I turned out to be negative for antibodies.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Technology

·
Registered
40,060 Posts
It would be interesting to know how many would/did test positive without symptoms. This would require everyone get tested which is out of the question. It also wouldn't show those who had a very low lever of exposure or low level of infection who didn't develop testable levels of antibodies. So many variables to deal with that won't indicate the just how widespread it is/was. The exposure rate has to be considerably higher than infection rate.

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
I get seasonal colds, 5 seconds in Google will give you a strong basis to think that's mild covid.

Combine that with testing being a nightmare and you've got the recipe for confusion.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,440 Posts
I get seasonal colds, 5 seconds in Google will give you a strong basis to think that's mild covid.

Combine that with testing being a nightmare and you've got the recipe for confusion.

Or cancer or emphysema or some other horrible thing. Google is a quack doctor.

·
Registered
40,060 Posts
We need to thank winterkill for his unblemished numbers. Unlike the Oregonian that headlined 51 deaths from the last reportring period. If one trusts headlines, you're being disinformed in a big way. The truth behind those headlines is below in the body of the article. The actual number was 18. The remainder were from unreported cases many of which were over two months old. The daily reports always contain a measure of old data, not exclusively current data. The only thing that matters is current data. From another headline, Oregon lifts outdoor mask mandate. Technically, a mandate never existed because it wasn't all inclusive. People were always free to go about their daily business mask free. The mandate applied only to certain (limited) functions and not city streets or other outdoor places (where mask wearing serves no purpose) the general public has access to during their daily routine. Be careful how you interpret the word, mandate.

·
Registered
114 Posts
According to reinfection and breakthrough infection data, as well as some basic immunology, it is very unlikely vaccine immunity is more effective than natural immunity.
A US study showed better and lower hospitalization rates with vaccinated people vs. unvaccinated but having prior Covid infection. COVID-19 vaccines more protective than ‘natural’ immunity
But it does state an Israli study found better results for those previously infected but it only included people who had been vaxd for 6 months or more (US study criteria included vaxd in last 3-6 months) This may speak to the importance of boosters etc.

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
A US study showed better and lower hospitalization rates with vaccinated people vs. unvaccinated but having prior Covid infection. COVID-19 vaccines more protective than ‘natural’ immunity
But it does state an Israli study found better results for those previously infected but it only included people who had been vaxd for 6 months or more (US study criteria included vaxd in last 3-6 months) This may speak to the importance of boosters etc.

We're seeing a growing body of studies, mostly foreign as our fda and cdc are bought and paid for by big pharma, that are showing increased heart attacks, myocarditis, blood clots, strokes etc as serious side effects.

Reactions: Idaho Chinook

·
Registered
114 Posts

We're seeing a growing body of studies, mostly foreign as our fda and cdc are bought and paid for by big pharma, that are showing increased heart attacks, myocarditis, blood clots, strokes etc as serious side effects.

Yeah but . . . the risk of these problems is greater than if you dont get the vax so you actually lower your risk by getting vax'd. Gotta read past the headline.
"In August, a U.S. study found that males between the ages of 12 and 17 — the demographic most likely to develop myocarditis — were six times more likely to suffer heart inflammation from being infected with Covid-19 than from being vaccinated against the virus. "
Also here are the raw numbers
"After a second dose of a vaccine, there were 67 cases of myocarditis per million males in that age group. After contracting the coronavirus, the rate of myocarditis in that age group shot up to 450 cases per million, the study found. "
67/1000000 vs. 450/1000000

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
Yeah but . . . the risk of these problems is greater than if you dont get the vax so you actually lower your risk by getting vax'd. Gotta read past the headline.
"In August, a U.S. study found that males between the ages of 12 and 17 — the demographic most likely to develop myocarditis — were six times more likely to suffer heart inflammation from being infected with Covid-19 than from being vaccinated against the virus. "
Also here are the raw numbers
"After a second dose of a vaccine, there were 67 cases of myocarditis per million males in that age group. After contracting the coronavirus, the rate of myocarditis in that age group shot up to 450 cases per million, the study found. "
67/1000000 vs. 450/1000000
That would be true if the vax actually prevented at a reasonable rate infection. (Variants have a pretty good break though rate) and the age group had any significant risks of long term negative consequences which is does not.

Anyways back to winter kills data..

Reactions: B. Coastal

·
Super Moderator
9,208 Posts
That would be true if the vax actually prevented at a reasonable rate infection. (Variants have a pretty good break though rate) and the age group had any significant risks of long term negative consequences which is does not.

Anyways back to winter kills data..
Yes, it is strongly advised to keep the conversation confined to the data presented in this thread by Winterkill.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
In late 2019 our daughter who works in the health care field got very sick with what she and her doctor assumed was the flu even though she had gotten the annual flu shot. She never ended up in the hospital but missed a lot of work time. To add to this her doctor came down with the same symptoms. A few weeks later the 22 year old granddaughter got sick. She never did find out if this was Covid but her doctor believes it was. As she said it was the sickest she has ever been.

My wife and I both got the Covid shots in early 2021 and this week boosters. No issues with the shots, in fact the annual common flu shot seemed to have more short term impact that the booster, sore arm. So I don't put much into all that negative about the shots as I don't know anyone that has had a bad reaction to them.
There was some type of virus going around at that time with symptoms very similar to COVID 19. I came down with it in February of 2020 and it hit several others in my work place. I missed nine days of work and ended up with bronchial pneumonia. Sickest I had ever been (at that time).

COVID 19 was just starting to show up in the U.S. but had not really taken off. I had suspicions that what I had in February might have been COVID 19, but nobody was testing at that time to find out.

Fast forward to April 2021 I get vaccinated. In early May, I tested positive for COVID so whatever I had in 2020 apparently was not COVID.

I submitted a test sample to Winterkill last summer. At that time my "hybrid immunity" had me at 96% antibody neutralization. I plan to submit another test around the first of the year, or whenever Winterkill thinks it would be most beneficial to the study.

-E-

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
A most interesting question is: why do the unvaccinated so vastly overestimate their past infection rate?

Some here suggest it occurs because the media “convinced” them of infection. Really?

I think it is more likely hubris and bravado (i.e. self-manufactured cases of infection w/o serious negative consequences) in an attempt to downplay the seriousness of this public health crisis.

We can in the USA hold our own opinions about all sorts of things ... but nowhere, in any world, can we create our own facts.
Isn’t this basic human behavior?... “I don’t want to get a vaccine (for whatever the reason may be) so “I’ve already had it. I’m good.” It is an easy excuse for both the person and a simple, not necessarily accurate, rationale to others if ever questioned. “Yea, I already had it.” If a person is vaccinated that whole piece is removed. I don’t need to convince myself or others that I don’t need a shot.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Fast forward to April 2021 I get vaccinated. In early May, I tested positive for COVID so whatever I had in 2020 apparently was not COVID.
I’ve heard of people contracting Covid more than once. Is it possible that you indeed had Covid the first time?

Possible?

Reactions: jokester

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I'm one of those that was sure they had it because I don't get sick and was pretty darn sick at the end of 2019 with most of the symptoms. I finally got it a month ago and it was very mild compared to what I had in 19.
Absolutely happens, as my brothers wife was positive with no symptoms. Not predictable really.

Reactions: jokester

·
Registered
40,060 Posts
Every time you get exposed, your resistance should go up. Call it your booster shot(s). Problem is not knowing when/if you got exposed. Being in the same room with a carrier does not guarantee exposure (pretty unlikely if person is asymptomatic) unlike the shot you know you got.

41 - 60 of 119 Posts