IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
39,990 Posts
Statistics can be manipulated by wording... Example... A 100% increase in something that is very small is still very small. 1 suddenly becoming 2. Usually numbers and rates are based on per 100,000.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Statistics can be manipulated by wording... Example... A 100% increase in something that is very small is still very small. 1 suddenly becoming 2. Usually numbers and rates are based on per 100,000.
When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose. Thanks, Winterkill, for your dedication to seeking some truths.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
I have been hearing that natural immunity falls off faster than vaccinated immunity. Don't know how true that is. Is it possible? May that be a reason some are not testing as having had the virus even when they think they did?
Interesting, from what I've heard and read it's exactly the opposite. 🤷‍♂️

Next month I'll submit a second sample (17 months after infection) to this study and the wife will submit her first. I've had multiple exposures and most recently when the wife got it 2 months ago. Curious to see where I'm at from my last sample submission since I haven't been sick at all since. I also want a base line in case I'm forced to get jabbed which will probably cause me submit yet more samples to see what happens. Not sure if that is good or bad.... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for the support, everyone. Samples just keep coming in, so I keep going. Had a gap in COVID related posts because I was busy running samples and chasing elk and deer. Been working on more analysis lately, so hopefully I find other interesting observations worth posting. Thanks to everyone for keeping it civil in the discussion.

·
Registered
39,990 Posts
A huge disservice to the public is not getting your data released through the media. A shame you don't also get the recognition you deserve.

One thing about media reporting is the inclusion of presumptive cases along with positive tests. We don't know what percentage of the total are presumptive cases. The greater the number of presumptive cases, the lower the actual infection rate is as a percentage of the whole.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
A huge disservice to the public is not getting your data released through the media. A shame you don't also get the recognition you deserve.

One thing about media reporting is the inclusion of presumptive cases along with positive tests. We don't know what percentage of the total are presumptive cases. The greater the number of presumptive cases, the lower the actual infection rate is as a percentage of the whole.
It would be great if the sample size was more like 10,000 people, rather than 173. That many samples would require a staff though. The study participants are owed a huge amount of gratitude as well. Many reasons not to participate, but choosing to sign up allows participant's sample help other people better understand COVID.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
The data is interesting. If I read it correctly a very small percentage of folks that think they have been infected actually have been. Reading the raw numbers pushed by OHA and blown out of proportion by the media one would reasonably believe the infection rate to be much higher. Even though this is a small data pool I trust it far more than the fluffy stats from other 'official' sources. Keep it coming, Winterkill.
Great point. My brother was one of those unvaccinated who swore “Healthy” people dont get the virus or that he probably already had it. Then he really got the virus, was exceptionally weak and sick for 2 weeks. Luckily he made it through.

Reactions: jokester

·
Registered
39,990 Posts
Good health can be measured in different ways or simply the perception of the individual. Was saying to the wife a while ago how many people appear healthy but have compromised immune systems. Lots of folks live in fairly sterile environments and their immune system is never challenged or properly developed, starting as a young child. Covid should be a warning to those who've become more than mildly ill, they aren't as healthy as they think they are.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Guess my biggest issue with the data, at least as presented, is calling it a 'study'. The data is raw with no control group, statistically small, no statistical analysis showing confidence, biased by selection (ie how the volunteers were selected), not peer reviewed, not published, ect. It's great anecdotal information and a great chart, but, nothing as presented is near any level of scientific integrity. So...Take it for what it's worth...Little...

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Guess my biggest issue with the data, at least as presented, is calling it a 'study'. The data is raw with no control group, statistically small, no statistical analysis showing confidence, biased by selection (ie how the volunteers were selected), not peer reviewed, not published, ect. It's great anecdotal information and a great chart, but, nothing as presented is near any level of scientific integrity. So...Take it for what it's worth...Little...
The study contains real world data, which is the best kind. That data is presented to you in the crowd review format, which is far superior to peer review (peer review is based on censorship).

As far as study participant selection goes, there is no criteria other than English speaking, non-pregnant adults aged 18+ who are not incarcerated. That is the US Department of Health and Human Services criteria for minimal risk studies without interpreters, like mine.

My past work in academic science has me jaded. There I saw far too much p-hacking, gaming of studies and hiding negative data to have confidence in the concept of peer review.

Instead, I post results for the crowd to review. Like you just did fishnhunt13. And I do appreciate your feedback, so thanks. Definitely hope to continue adding study participants. My goal is to reach 200 people by New Years. The study currently has 176 people. Maybe you can share the study or even sign up yourself. That will help increase our confidence in the results.

For now, its fine if you don't want to believe the science. There is a lot of information out there. The beauty of the USA is that we are free to do our own research and make our own decisions.

Stay safe and stay free.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Results show that people who are unvaccinated and undiagnosed for COVID-19 overestimate past infection. Presumably this also means they overestimate their own natural immunity, and risk for infection.
A most interesting question is: why do the unvaccinated so vastly overestimate their past infection rate?

Some here suggest it occurs because the media “convinced” them of infection. Really?

I think it is more likely hubris and bravado (i.e. self-manufactured cases of infection w/o serious negative consequences) in an attempt to downplay the seriousness of this public health crisis.

We can in the USA hold our own opinions about all sorts of things ... but nowhere, in any world, can we create our own facts.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
A most interesting question is: why do the unvaccinated so vastly overestimate their past infection rate?

Some here suggest it occurs because the media “convinced” them of infection. Really?

I think it is more likely hubris and bravado (i.e. self-manufactured cases of infection w/o serious negative consequences) in an attempt to downplay the seriousness of this public health crisis.

We can in the USA hold our own opinions about all sorts of things ... but nowhere, in any world, can we create our own facts.
Maybe it’s because, for many people, Covid infection is so minor than many other illnesses can be mistaken for it?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Maybe it’s because, for many people, Covid infection is so minor than many other illnesses can be mistaken for it?
Yes, but shouldn’t vaccinated people also make this mistake more often? We hear so much about “breakthrough cases” in the media ... after all, the media, you know, controlling our brains.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Great point. My brother was one of those unvaccinated who swore “Healthy” people dont get the virus or that he probably already had it. Then he really got the virus, was exceptionally weak and sick for 2 weeks. Luckily he made it through.
I'm one of those that was sure they had it because I don't get sick and was pretty darn sick at the end of 2019 with most of the symptoms. I finally got it a month ago and it was very mild compared to what I had in 19.

·
Registered
10,964 Posts

I know several people that have tested positive with little or no negative outcomes.

Fear **** sells to both sides equally.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: jokester

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
I trust his data more than a Pfizer sponsored study.

Studies out of Isreal and other institutions back up findings with regards to natural immunity.

Don't worry if one pays enough, one can get peer reviewed approval..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 109 Posts