IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched a guide the other day just kill the salmon and all of his rods were sporting snubbers. I am going out tomorrow and test these things out. It makes a lot of sense especially if you use braided line and graphite rods; with the contact to the fish being so direct it may cause a lot of short biters or just plain rip it out of their mouth. Anybody have any experience using snubbers for salmon?..........Chris

·
Registered
472 Posts
I dont use em, but have been running mono & fairly limber rods when in the estuary or big blue. I was with a friend a few weeks ago & he runs em with but also uses more limber rods, it didnt seem to make a difference on hookup ratio that day. I could see where a stiffer rod w/ tuff line or the like would benefit from it.I think a softer rod helps alot in these areas

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Chris,
While fishing the salt on the straits of juan de fuca for nooks we always used the snubbers on the troll. Had many a leader snapped from a huge pound down off the down rigger. Switched to the snubbers and it solved the problem. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I have been giving this a lot of thought lately, I think with braided line and stiff rods it will give the salmon a chance to really take the lure before you give them the set. I am going to give it a try on anchor with alvins and Q fish this year.

·
Registered
993 Posts
if you have the right rod you dont need rubber bands just one more thing to go wrong just make sure your rod is not all loaded up with your diver or just use spinners :grin:

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Two weeks ago out of tilliemook (Garibaldi) on the big blue pond I used a snubber between diver and fish flash with herring and a roto-clip, 4 take downs, 4 fish to the boat (1 keeper out of the 4) switched to a Coyote spoon, 4 more take downs and not a one of them did I get to the boat. Now , snubber or no snubber my teckneak with a spoon might have been wrong, I was letting them pound it a little before grabbing the rod, and I did not set the hook, cause I don't set the hook when useing herring. :shrug: Oh I do use a stiff 10 foot rod ( 15 to 50 lb test line extra heavy) Made a post last week and biggest % of the replys said don't use the snubber . :shrug: :shrug: I said I would not use the snubber anymore but I may renig on that statement.
DAB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts