IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you are fishing the lower Columbia for the river opener this weekend? I fished it last year, drowning 3 herring for 6 hours and not a strike. If the ocean settles down I'll be out there instead. Does anyone have any good stories of a successful B10 opener in the river to get me pumped up?

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Hi Joe,
I will save my story for last years opener cause it's the first time I ever got skunked at B-10. I will however share a little tid bit of the 2001 opener. I launched in the dark after only about a 10 minute wait at the ramp. I love the port of Ilwaco, I have never waited more than 15 minutes, even on a Saturday. I ran out to Jetty A and started dropping gear. I dropped mine and then started dropping my buddies while explaining to him the opener is usually slow and not to expect too much.

I didn't even get 10 pulls out of the reel when the rod bucked and I felt braided line rip across my fingers :shocked: First fish to the net was an 18 pound nook. We had barely cleared the Jetty mind you. I never did real my rod up and it was just sitting in the holder. I put the net under the fish and then I heard my reel singing. I looked over and saw the rod bent and a silver clear the water by two to three feet. Nice hatchery coho of about 9 pounds in the box.

It took a mere 45 minutes to hit the other two hatchery fish and let 1 nate go. We trolled the green can from the Jetty to the yellow can. Never made it past that and was back at the ramp at 7:30 with three silvers and a nook for the bounty.

You bet I will be there on Friday. I plan on looking at the bar at 9:30 and if all is good, point the bow to the spark plug. We will be up there for seven days so we shall see what happens. I have my brother up from Florida that has never cought a salmon so I'm on a mission. The offer still stands Joe to hang at the condo with us anytime we are there.

See ya on the water.....

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Chris! That's what I needed to hear. I'm cautiously optomistic that with coho over the dam already and the big run that is expected that we'll be in a few this weekend! I doubt I'll make it for the opener on Friday morning, but might get down Friday afternoon to put the boat in my moorage at Chinook. I'll keep you posted as to our plans, Chris.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Hello, 'Buster'...I plan on being there the 8th, 9th, & 10th. Where is a good place to camp for the weekend close to launching at Hammond?? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Overfitty- I try and stay away from the zoo at Hammond during the August fishery, Ilwaco is a lot less hassle. I would contact the city of Warrenton and Ft. Stevens and see what they have. Good luck...

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
You can see the church. On the hill downstream from the bridge (WA side). Check your chart for the 50 foot "hole" - or just fish where the nets are waving.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'll be there with about a couple of hundred thousand of my closest friends. :dance: I can't wait. :cheers: :dance:

·
Registered
501 Posts
overfitty, the "church hole" is about 4 miles upriver from Chinook ramp on the Washington side.

love2fish

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Rags and his crew will be there on Friday and Saturday. This could be the opener of all openers. Big tide change and an afternoon of nuttin but net!!! :shocked:

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
who u calling characters? :shocked:

[ 07-30-2003, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: husker ]

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
We'll be there Saturday and I am still debating about putting together a crew for Friday. :cheers: :grin:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
i too will be there on sat morning to check it out. this is my first year at bouy 10 so any help will be much appreciated. i really dont want to go over the bar, is there alot of fishy water inside the bar? just trolling like you do for springers in the willamette? i may have an open seat for someone that has done this before. let me know. kb

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ah yes rod tip to rod tip and fish everywhere what more could a fishing fool ask for. If we don't have our fish by the turn it will out to the big blue. For those that have not been up therethis year the spit as fillerd in inside of forteen so you can't cut inside as far as you did last year. Already they have had a few boats run aground and it is breaking even closer to 14.
Good luck everyone.
Chris and Shane drop me a line when you are heading up to the masses.
Sean

1 - 18 of 18 Posts