IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if there is any herring still to be caught in the bay. I am taking my 5 year old son and 2 year old daughter crabing and thought they might have fun catching a few herring. let me know

thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
8,551 Posts
There are still a few. Incoming tide is best.

·
Registered
14,262 Posts
This info is a week old.

Aug 10 .. fished near the green coast guard bouy, 9A I think. From 19:30 to dark. We got 50 or so big fattie herring for the live bait tank.

Aug 11 .. fished by the OSU marine docks and there were bazillions of anchovies on the surface. Not expecting this and the only reason I found them is they were jumping. Right at first light. We got 200 or so greenbacks.

Any slack tide when the tide is running hard and most of any incoming tide when the tide is not so big. You will find bait in the bay all summer. Use your electronics and the birds are very helpful too.

Good luck. Oh .. we used Sabikis with green beads, no krystalflash and small white wings. Most were on the bottom but as I said use the plastic Hey zuess on the dash board to find them.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I went yesterday from 9 till 3pm, I had 18 shad, anout 6 herring (large) and a handfull of dinks. It could change overnight, but pretty darn slow.

WHAT was pretty cool was the huge school off anchovies, every year there are some and generally they are dinks, but these are the biggest i have seen in Npt. They were as big as my fat fingers and probably 7".

I caught a bunch of them, but they don't freeze very well.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
was crabbing in the bay thursday and saw the huge schools of anchovies as well did well on the crab had 12 dungee and 4 good red rock in short order thanks to the guys who left the badly filet cohos in the dumpster everytime we brought up the pot with coho in it we had 2 to 3 keepers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts