IFish Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Guys this has been bugging me for some time now ... I recently read a joke on ifish and the punch line had to do with shooting a Californian instead of a glass bottle because the bottle was worth a nickle... So what have Californians done to you Oregonians that makes some of the populace up there hate us so... I'm really curious since I was ripped off in Costa Rica for about 1500.00 $ worth of fishing equipment and I don't hate all Costaricans :confused: So I also realize living on remote ranches I havn't kept up on current events for 25-30 years or so ..But heard about this mindset in Oregon over the years nontheless....OK let me have it but please shoot straight ... Don't worry I got skin like a Gator ... Thanks Barney:wave:

· Banned
1,050 Posts
ok, ill bite. i dont think californians are bad people at all. some dont like californians because they are in part to blame for artificially inflating property values in oregon, bringing traditional california political views to oregon, driving styles and socitial values. oregon was traditionally a logging, farming, commercial fishing state and some of those people resent the change would be my guess.

· Banned
1,330 Posts
I don't think so, as I spent a good deal of my life (9 years, not by choice) there. But shortly after moving here after the '96 floods, I overheard a guy in line at the grocery store complaining about Californians. According to him, "These floods are the fault of all those darn californians moving here and bringing all their cement." :rolleyes: Right.

I'm pretty good at picking out the Californians from their driving style.

Also, Californians in general made the housing market here go gangbusters for a while. Many .com millionaires bought property up here and drove the market up when it otherwise would have had modest increases. That was a good thing for people who were already homeowners, but put homeownership out of reach of those in lower income brackets.

So, a little good and a little bad, but mostly just regular people wanting to live and raise their families in a beautiful state. I can't fault them for that.

· Registered
1,442 Posts
:yeahthat: to almost all of the above. But mostly yes to
but mostly just regular people wanting to live and raise their families in a beautiful state. I can't fault them for that.
Did we raise the price of housing here? I'm sure we did our fair share. Have you seen the price of housing in California? What do you think drove us up here? We couldn't afford to expand to a bigger house in our own native state. And who do we blame for that? The rest of the world? So do we go hating the rest of the world? Cant be done. So we moved up here and acclimated to our surroundings. I fished in the Bay Area, but not like I fish here. I never thought I was going to ever own a drift boat. We like it here. No regrets. I'm proud to be from Ca. It's a great state. There's a lot of people who think the same thing and are willing to put up with the overcrowding, not me thanks. Didn't grow up that way, don't want my kids to either. I haven't really run across too many people that are mad at us transplants, I run into more transplants! Any one mad at me for coming up here with my California money and buying a nice house for my family, pm me. As for the drivers, yeah, my first thought is dam* Californians. And every time I go back for a visit and drive the highways down there, it seems to get worse. Go figure. So who do they blame? I'm just glad to afford my family a decent place to grow up. My kids don't really know prejudice in that respect, I hope they never do. They're learning about some prejudice because of their background, half Hispanic. My mother is Cuban, my father from Brooklyn, my inlaws are full Mexican, my kids think that is normal. In the bay area it is the norm. I've never heard the word "Mexican" used more as a derogatory term rather than reference for someone's heritage here in Oregon, that's the only thing that breaks my heart about this beautiful state. I hope my kids never learn that prejudice either. Cheers

G

·
My biggest problem is when they move here and then start complaining. Ya it is true we dont pump our own gas...so what... We also dont have sales tax....and guess what WE DONT WANT IT! I believe Californians should not be able to vote for the first ten years of residency. You guys voted in the Terminator as GOVERNOR! besides the gun laws and fuel emissions for auto's the list goes on and on...

Bend used to be one of the nicest places in the state...(now I cant stand it)...then it became a retirement mecca for Californians who sold their 3 bedroom 2 bath ranch for 1.5 million and moved to Oregon where they drove up the local economy so much that pretty soon all you will see is a market like the one the left in California. That doesnt leave much room for the locals.There are many, many other smaller towns in this same boat.

Basically Im worried that Oregon could become a little California and that really really scares me.

I dont mean to pick on ya ...but you asked.

· Registered
12,221 Posts
I am a lifetime Washingtonian, so I am an expert on all things that relate to Californians.:crazy:

Californians (all) and some Oregonians (city folks, especially those in Multnomah County) are genetically inferior. In some cases their hair actually turns purple. The worst of all live in SE Portland. They should not be allowed to breath air, particularly those who live within 30 blocks of Hawthorne.

It's true.

There. Now I feel better.:angel1:

· Registered
37 Posts
I am a lifetime Washingtonian, so I am an expert on all things that relate to Californians.:crazy:

Californians (all) and some Oregonians (city folks, especially those in Multnomah County) are genetically inferior. In some cases their hair actually turns purple. The worst of all live in SE Portland. They should not be allowed to breath air, particularly those who live within 30 blocks of Hawthorne.

It's true.

There. Now I feel better.:angel1:
That's funny.. I grew up in SE Portland (18 years) and have lived in San Diego for the last 7 years (4 years USMC). Where does that put me:wink:..
We/they drive fast because that's how we/they make up for all that time in traffic. Ever hit a traffic jam at 10:30 at night. Try driving the 405 through LA. More specifically between LAX and Sunset Blvd and that's what you'll find. A 10 mile stretch that takes about an hour to get through during the day and half an hour at night. Luckily I find myself up there rarely. You can't blame them for moving out of CA. I was driving home from work yesterday and I saw a person shaking a sign for new homes around the corner "Starting in the low millions". These aren't mansions.. they're regular single family dwellings like what you might find on the north face of Mt Scott or on the south side of sunnyside on 122nd. I plan on moving back and am bringing my California native wife and california born toddler with me. I can't afford to even buy a starter home here (at least $500K). It's bad enough that were paying $1400 for a 2 bedroom / 1 bath apartment. Californian's can blame the housing prices here on America's rich and priviledged moving in..

· Registered
3,664 Posts
I remember a stat from when I moved here from California. Half of the people in Oregon are from somewhere else and half of those are from California. That's 25 % for you native Oregonians! :)

· Registered
1,871 Posts
OK do not take this out of context but here is some thoughts I have long though about.

People from CA did not dam up all the rivers here
People from CA did not clear cut the class 1 and 2 streams before logging was controlled and help to cause great declines in wild fish.
People from CA did not gillnet the rivers to the brink of ESA.
People from CA did not pitchfork salmon from rivers and creeks.
People from CA did not troll line mass numbers of Columbia river gators and drag then to the bank as trash fish to rot in the sun with the intent to rid the river of them thar trash fish..
People from CA did not practice mass grazing in eastern oregon lease lands.
People from CA did not start the meth craze that has poluted most of the state.

What people from CA did do was bring money and ethics to try and save Oregon from itself "laughs" Maybe it is just easyer to lay blame. Who knows :shrug:

I think that folks from CA learned from their mistakes and many came here seeking what was left of the great life. They do alot to help preserve many things great and small here.

Just some thoughts

P.S. I am from CA and I give much to many right here on ifish.net to help them become better anglers and conserve what is left of the northwest while they are at it. I could care less were they are from or how long they have lived here, my goal is to start them off right if I can.

As for driving up the cost of living I guess I have no one to blame......I can not afford a house either : ) If Oregonians were so concerned about people from CA. driving up the cost of housing they would all sell their homes cheap? RIIIIIGHT.....They are takin full advantage of this boom......Yes they are indeed....

:cheers:

· Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,289 Posts
Actually it all started many moons ago. It isn't necessarily Californians, but they were major players. Out-of-state developers came to Oregon and built houses. Millions of them. They did nothing for the infrastructure that supported them (roads, utilities, schools, and such). They then took their profits back home (again not all CA's, but most) and left the rest of us to fill in the gaps that were left.

· Registered
5,838 Posts
Actually it all started many moons ago. It isn't necessarily Californians, but they were major players. Out-of-state developers came to Oregon and built houses. Millions of them. They did nothing for the infrastructure that supported them (roads, utilities, schools, and such). They then took their profits back home (again not all CA's, but most) and left the rest of us to fill in the gaps that were left.
It is the people that are, or have been supposed to be over seeing development who are at fault for the mess we are in now, not Californians themselves.

Smj

· Registered
3,926 Posts
OK Guys this has been bugging me for some time now ... I recently read a joke on ifish and the punch line had to do with shooting a Californian instead of a glass bottle because the bottle was worth a nickle... So what have Californians done to you Oregonians that makes some of the populace up there hate us so... I'm really curious since I was ripped off in Costa Rica for about 1500.00 $ worth of fishing equipment and I don't hate all Costaricans :confused: So I also realize living on remote ranches I havn't kept up on current events for 25-30 years or so ..But heard about this mindset in Oregon over the years nontheless....OK let me have it but please shoot straight ... Don't worry I got skin like a Gator ... Thanks Barney:wave:
We also do not want the Liberal viewpoint/law's enacted re 2nd amendmant right's...molom labe:wink::wink::wink:

· Banned
1,969 Posts
For the most part its just a baseless stereotype for instance here are a few from growing up in the NW-

-People from Sweet Home and Estacada are in-breed
-Oregonians arent smart enough to pump their own gas. (however, after being to New Jersey, I believe this is the reason they are not allowed to pump thier own gas)
-If you get in an accident and the other guy doesnt speak english he is probably an illegal.
-There is nothing on the other side of the cascades but hicks and cowboys.
-If you live in Lake Oswego chances are you are from NY or California
-Eugene is just a bunch of hippie pot smokers.

Most are just broad generalizations. Trust me, if you are going to take offense to it, just be glad that Californians have nothing on New Yorkers.

· Registered
4,074 Posts
when I was a kid growing up in cal, one of my best friends was from oregon.

Are Californians bad people? yes and no

yes, if they come here to free load and cause problems
no, if they come here to work and raise a family

I came here over 20 years ago because of a job offer. Oregon has been good to me and my family and I'm thankful to her. understand though, As an American and as a Vet, I'll live where ever I want to live and can afford to live and I can care less what other people think of me.
If you don't like the direction this state is going then stop putting the same class of fools in political office.
As for the growth, it's inertia now, it's never going to stop.

· Registered
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are Californians bad people?

Yes.
Saying Yes dosn't require any reasoning or facts its just an empty statement .... Bring it on fellas it might make ya feel a little better...:wave: Barney

· Registered
1,451 Posts
I'm a native Oregonian that just left do to the immigration(both legal and illegal). Here is my impressions of Californian's

Californians have no manners (including on the highway)
Californians think they need to "fix" everything
Californians are all about ego

Oregon used to have a live and let live attitude, but the Californians are fixing that.

As a great man and former governor said, " Feel free to visit, just don't forget to leave."

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.