IFish.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of picking up an Underwater Camera. I've got a friend who has one, he says there great except it makes him mad to see the fish and there not biting. What do you guys think? Are they worth the money? Do they give you any advantages?
I'd appreciate your response in this before I go out and spend $500.00.
:shrug:

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
If I had the extra bucks I would get one just for fun. I don't know if it would help my fishing success, but I could play with it for hours me thinks.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'd buy one too if I had the spare dough. Might be closer to $350-$400. Depends on the options and I haven't priced them for a while. Gary at Great American Tackle in Clackaams sells them and can answer all your questions. He's got some videos tapped with them.

·
Administrator
41,348 Posts
There are at least a half dozen similar products on the market. They all have limitations, be it quality of the product or price or range. For my interest, I haven't seen one that adequately deals with the storage of the cable. Imagine going for gators with the camera on and then getting a bite ... how do you get the cable retreived and stored while you're fighting a fish? What I'd really like to see is something like a radio controlled mini-submarine with automatic surfacing and homing capability that broadcasts to a monitor the size of a fishfinder. But then, I'm only dreaming, right?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I have the Aqua-Vu camera and love it. BUT, it is mainly a toy. In current, it is hard to see your own bait unless you set it all up on a down rigger to keep your bait near the camera. You can see lots of fish if they are there though. I have used it in water up to 30' deep (mine has the infra red lights also). We had it in the lake this last weekend and it was pretty interesting to see the bottom (not what I was expecting). One thing I found is I had to attach an extra 2# weight on a swivel to the bottom of the camera to keep it down in the river current or it would want to swing around too much. It is interesting seeing the fish even though it hasn't helped/changed my fishing any. Salmon will come right up to it and don't seem afraid at all.

RF

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you have the $ then get one.

The biggest limitation is that in some water conditions you can't see terribly far at all (murky water is the biggest problem), so certain fisheries are way better than others....it won't work EVERYWHERE, but on certain fisheries (clear water) it should be excellent.

You could maybe have the same kind of view that Charlie White shows on his salmon videos! (Once you figure how to use the thing properly....which might take awhile.)

You'll LEARN a lot, and it's FUN, that's the main benefits.

There "sun hood" (fits over the screen) is a good investment if you fish when the sun is out.

We saw BEAVERS at one lake we fish...you could stick the camera at the entrance to their nest, and connect the Aqua-Vu up to a CAMCORDER, and RECORD the comings and goings to then view LATER at home on your VCR...kind of fun. You'd have to fast-forward for a long time until you see them on the TV, however.

You won't necessarily catch more fish right off the bat, in fact you'll catch fewer fish since you will probably be having fun using it, but in the LONG RUN you'll LEARN so much that you will indeed catch more fish.

Trolling over, say, 2.5 knots it doesn't work too well, I think.

Seeing STRUCTURE, not only fish, is also one of it's biggest benefits.

I saw a good video presentation at one of the fishing shows that really spelled out how it truly can benefit a fishermen....some things that the depth sounder indicated was one thing turned out to be something completely different!

WithOUT one you can get real good as a fishermen, but only so good...at some point you need eyes underwater, and short of scuba diving, an underwater camera is the way to go.

You can't see the screen very well at all, though, unless you have the screen like w/in 18" of your face....in sunshine ESPECIALLY.

I don't think low light conditions work nearly as well as sunny days.

Yes, you will see lots and lots of fish that WON'T bite your lure....so if you have low self-esteem then the camera could really screw you up!!....well, you get the idea.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input guys. I think youv'e touched on some important points. I think it would be a kick to have in the boat. And would probably get alot of use at first. Also would help in locating fish holding areas and structure. I do see the problem of having it in the water when Fish-On and having to deal with getting it up and out of the way.
My friend says he gets so mesmerized at looking in the camera he forgets about his pole.
Thanks again for all the input. :smile:

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Originally posted by Phishin Phool:

My friend says he gets so mesmerized at looking in the camera he forgets about his pole.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Your friend is right about that! We rowed into a hole last year dropped anchor and the camera. We had been there 5 minutes when I realized there were 3 of us trying to see the camera (and all the salmon) and no one had a rod in the water

RF

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
my buddy has one as ans fun as it was at first, once the excitement wore off, he has'nt picked it back up. I know of other ways I'd spend the 500 for the boat, but that's just me being overly practical. I'm sure you'd have some fun with it, at least initially. Would be frustrating to see the fish and have them thumb the lure.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Here's a company that sells them up here in Everett, Wa. Our company manufactures the parts for the assembly. Color or black and white.

Link

1 - 10 of 10 Posts