IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be interested in other attendees impression of our lobbying efforts today in Salem.

1. I liked the truck and boat display across the street. It got my attention. I liked the big orange "Save Our Salmon" sign and the "Salmon = Tourist Dollars" sign.

2. The top three speakers, in my view.
A. The guy from NSIA who got an ovation.
B. Tim Juarez, from Tillamook Guides reading Bob Rees' letter (which was good) and Tim's own comments
C. Jerry Dove, right to the point and no meandering around on side issues. Stack of "petitions" was good theater, an old lawyer's trick of showing piles of supporting paper.

We didn't have as many folks attending as our first lobbying effort but at least we went into the overflow room.

Brion

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
thanks Brion. It was a good day. Not a lot of boats but they looked good. We had two guys stay with the boats and they had hundreds of folks stop and ask what was going on. Many said it was the best demonstration that they had seen at the captial. They told all that stoped by that we were not asking for tax money, but that we were offering money, a good touch. I am sure that all members of the committee were in our cornor. I talked to all of then after the meeting and they again were very positive. It is a game and as I have said before we have to play the game or we lose. thanks to all that were there today and to those that wrote and called. Boy I want to get to Oregon City next week and catch a springer. Jerry

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I would be happy to sit in the boat with you next week in Oregon city Jerry :smile:

I was at work today and drove bye the capital and honked several times tried to park near impossable. I emailed all the folks listed in the previous post and I'am openly happy to contribute funds to help save are hatcherie's.

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Oregon Trout showed there true colors today, by actually saying the bill was a bad idea, economically. :shrug: Overall the support was defiantely there for our hatcheries. My question is who was the guy with the pony tail the said 98% of the fish in the nestucca were wild and closing the decript hatchery that wasn't producing any fish was a good idea? That steamed me enough that I had to step outside. :mad: :mad:
I am sorry I didn't get to meet more people there.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
willametteriveroutlaw,

I thought the Oregon Trout guy said that he was for the bill and supported raising the license fees? Or was that the Native Fish Society person?

He did suggest closing a couple hatcheries on test case basis on streams with restored native runs but he was clear that he was not advocating closing all hatcheries and that he supported raising the license fees to support ODFW and funding most hatcheries.

I had to leave after Jack Glass testified (about 3PM) so maybe I missed the person you mentioned.

I thought it was interesting that Wildlife Defense Fund(?), an environmental group, showed up in support of the fishermen.

One thing I noticed from last time was that speakers who went off topic and got into the hatcheries vs. native fish did not deliver a clear message to the legislators.

Those who focused on saying they supported raising the fee and gave good reasons for doing so, good for the economy, good for tourism, good for outdoor traditions and lifestyle, good for recreational industry, good for wood products industry (I noticed two timber company folks spoke in favor of the fee because of help they got with salmom stream mitigation) etc.

Those were the most effective speakers.

Everybody who said they supported it "BUT" tended to blur their own message as they spent more time on their "BUT" than on the real issue at hand, raising the fee to cover ODFW budget shortfalls.

Guess I'll have to sign up to speak next time <grin>.

Brion

·
Registered
194 Posts
For your information the person who received an ovation was Jim Martin. Jim use to be Chief of Fisheries for ODF&W. My impression of Oregon Trout was that they support the bill, but would not support any hatcheries. I am not sure what they want done with monies that is currently going to our hatcheries.

BillK

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
It was after Jack glass spoke, I wandered in right before he spoke, (doofy looking Guy in the John Deere hat) :wink: . The guy I was thinking of mentioned being affiliated with oregon trout said that economics stated that less people would fish and it would hurt the 1000 or so people he represented. He spoke around 3:00 or so.

[ 04-24-2003, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: willametteriveroutlaw ]

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
I was very disappointed by the number of boats we had there. I was expecting to show up and see tons of boats around so I could just circle the capitol for a couple hours with my kids and leave but I decided to park it instead. I had the boat with the "Save our Salmon" sign on it.

Oh well, I'm sure everyone was a little frustrated from the last one. Did anyone notice if we made the news? Katu left pretty quick but channel 8 was there almost the whole time.

Thanks to all that participated.

Keep the faith!

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
There was a lot less notice this time and it is spring. To those who emailed me, thanks for the answer.

·
Registered
14,336 Posts
I think the message was recieved. Most everyone who spoke said that they were supportive of the license fee increase but not supportive of the general funding reduction suggested by Gov. Ted Kolungowski.

A few used words like theft and robbery to describe the transfer of monies from sportsmen willing to pay more to programs paid for by the general fund.

There is a front page article in Friday's Oregonian. Harry Esteve almost gets it right but fails to mention the connection between the Governors 'fish issues' advisor and Oregon Trout. Also not mentioned is the agenda of Mr. Myrons organization in regards to hatcheries.

"We needed to make a policy call relating to who should be funding state hatcheries." Quoting the newspaper article which is quoting Mr. Myron.

I bet .. the rest of that sentence goes ... and while deciding that policy we will further the ambitions of Oregon trout by closing the hatcheries by denying them funding.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I read the oregonisn, front page this morning. I almost thought I was in a different meeting than the reporter. Yes a few folks were angry, but I thought for the most part folks were in favor of the fee increas. He gave the impression that fee increases would go to schools. NOT SO. Lic and tag fees go direct to ODFW. Yes the Gov. (in his budget) took 5mil.of general fund from ODFW. We need to make sure that it is in statute that the fee increase go where we have ask for it to go. It all comes down to what the Leg. wants to do. Lets keep the pressure on them. I feel that most of them are on our side. thanks again for all that were there and all that wrote or called. DON'T FORGET THE FOREST TOUR THIS SAT. 9AM Tillamook ODF office. Jerry

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Thank you to the people who showed up and took valuable vacation and fishing time to support the fee increases. I appreciate your efforts. :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts