IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please give your opinion of what the appropriate tip would be for a river guide who provides a nice pleasurable day (good service), and for one who gives excellent service. Let's say there are 3 clients at $150 each.

Thanks!

KChookem

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I do not think that any tip is guaranteed, it depends on what kind of day you had. All parties limit out then a great tip is due. If you all got skunked then I would base a tip (if any) on other factors, like was the guide working hard to keep you fishing, were other boats around you catching fish, was the guide spending lots of time with task that shouldn't be cutting into your fishing time?

EK

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
Depends on how you feel about the expirience really.. Don't base everything on whether or not fish are caught, its all about how much effort and how curteous the guides were.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Biggest tip I ever gave a guide was on a no fish day. I learned a ton, he explained how to run a section of the river, rig up several types of salmon rigs, and let me fish with my own gear for a while (had the only takedown). I explained up front that I was an accomplished salmon and steelie fisherman, and was just looking to learn some new techniques, as well as where to fish in that section of the river.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
I tip 15-20%. Wether I catch fish or not. If he was good, was courteous and polite, fished hard, and offered tips to me for the future, that' what he can expect from me. On the other hand if he was very late, rude, did not work hard to get us fish, and made it a generally poor experience, than my 150 is all he'll get. It's the same in and service industry for me. I was in it, so I believe in tipping well if I can.
GBS

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
Don't base everything on whether or not fish are caught, its all about how much effort and how curteous the guides were.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Right on WRO!! If a guide is curteous, takes time to teach his clients, and he works his butt off to try and get us into fish, he'll get a well deserved tip from me no matter if we catch 2 or 20! I believe in giving where it's due!!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Some guides even want you to give up your salmon eggs out of hens caught. Even some guides that also sell fresh and cured salmon eggs. I don't think that is right. If you are going to pay a guide to fish, then a cash tip is appropriate, but not also giving them your salmon eggs, especially since THEY supply bait and tackle, and they are bait dealers besides.

I have a problem with guides that want a fee, a tip, AND your salmon eggs, when they turn around and either sell the eggs or use them for other paying clients. My 2 cents.

People pay to guide you to fish, not portions of the fish.

SKP

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
SKP,
Thats generally a boat rule that the captain gets the eggs, unless otherwise stated. Also guides can't legally sell sport caught eggs, I would be willing to bet all of the tea in china that any guide worth his salt isn't selling sport caught eggs. Remember that eggs, for many guides, are their main bait of choice and fishing them is how they make their money. Remember this is how they support their families. Your almost accusing The ammermans of selling client caught eggs and thats really not cool. In scott ammermans posts you he always talks about how important it is to take care of your eggs prior to curing them.. By being in control of the eggs from the time the fish hits the boat to curing allows him to have bait for his next client to hammer fish on and most guides think the exact same way.

[ 09-30-2003, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: willametteriveroutlaw ]

·
Registered
235 Posts
I almost always tip, but the amount varies a great deal. Something I've noticed over the last ten years or so in particular, is that the degree of service between guides--between fly fishing guides and conventional guides especially--has really changed. For example, every fly guide I know provides lunch, soft drinks, etc., as included in the trip. None of the conventional guides I have been with in recent years did the same. Not that "what's for lunch?" is the biggest issue in any way, but that is something I take into account when tipping. After all, the lunch and snack items were out of pocket expenses--that I appreciate being supplied with. Also, how much the particular guide is out in terms of equipment--that is, did they supply the flies/tackle/bait, and did I/we go through a lot of it? Finally, how long was the day? Some guides are literally "on the clock;" their day is done at eight hours, or so, and that's it. Others, fish 'til you can't take anymore.

So what do I tip? I have tipped as much as $150.00, and as little as $25.00 for a day. The $150.00 was for a spectacular day that lasted from dawn unitl dusk with a guide I have since gone on many more trips with. Only once did I not tip at all--on a halibut trip in Alaska during which we had some serious guide issues.

I've said it before and will say it again, you never know what you're going to get with a guide. Some are the greatest people I've ever had the priveledge of knowing. They are the kind of people who love to fish, work well with people, and can teach you more in a morning that you'd learn in a lifetime on your own. All this while getting you into fish--not always an easy task. Some, unfortunately, are none of the above. For them, guiding is simply a paycheck, and that attitude is obvious. When you get one of the first group, you should tip well, recommend him/her to your friends, and otherwise do what you can to support them. Get one of the others? Well, chalk the day up to "luck of the draw," but never go back.

[ 09-30-2003, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: Bubzilla ]

·
Registered
720 Posts
I’ll probably get flamed here.
When I go out to dinner I will tip the waiter/waitress, when I’m on a charter fishing trip I’ll tip the 1st mate/bait boy.
I don’t feel obligated to tip the owner of the restaurant or the charter owner. I figure I’ve paid a fair price for their service.
Of course there are exceptions, if a guide/owner goes beyond what I feel is a normal outing to find fish or show tricks of the trade, I’ll gladly show them I appreciated the effort with a good tip.
Call me cheap…

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I never expect a tip from my clients, if they tip great, if not it's fine by me and as long as they had a good day and leave with a smile on their face it's perfect! I have a lot of clients that don't fish a whole lot and don't need the eggs so I get them and usually plenty. If I have some die-hard fishermen in the boat that want the eggs, take them...enjoy!

Just yesterday the guys took their fish and eggs home too, I had 2 people we hooked ten landing 9...The tip: $50. We fished from 6:30am till 5pm
PERFECT. :smile:

-Marty

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
My neighbor had this experience, so I'm giving my opinion of the experience. I didn't like what he told me about his experience a few years back. I don't know who he went with, it was many years ago, and I believe it was in Alaska.

By the way, I think you are naming the wrong guys Willametteriveroutlaw. Actually, I just caught two salmon using Amerman cure, and I like it. (Read my curing frozen salmon eggs post). The Amerman's might sell eggs, but they are surplus hatchery eggs, not client caught eggs. Are you telling me that the Amerman's do this, I highly doubt it. I've heard they are great fisherman and sportsmen. I work with someone who has property on the Siletz, and see them occasionally, and they are first class, and catch a heck of a lot of fish. I don't know them personally, but I've heard good reports about them. Hopefully this makes it clear I'm not talking about them, but someone years ago in Alaska.

SKP

·
Registered
784 Posts
I tip 15-20% depending on the circumstances.

Can remember only one time I didn't tip - it was several years ago on a party boat out of Depoe Bay. The deck hand was absolutely worthless - spending much of his time sitting on his butt in the cabin. Can't say as I thought much of the Skipper for not doing something about it and he also had his shortfalls.

Overall, however, I have had many great moments on the water fishing around the country with a lot of different guides. They've all been tipped. The fact that they get a fee doesn't negate that they aren't worthy of a "bonus" IMHO. And putting fish in the boat isn't the deciding factor - many other considerations go into the final decision.

I think that guiding is a tough way to make a living - incredible amount of pressure to not only entertain and educate, but also produce fish when all the cards may well be stacked against them. It is hard work, with lots of on-shore prep and cleanup, limited sleep, and exposure to a wide range of inclement weather. Good guides more than earn their fees and I respect them for what they do.

Dean

[ 09-30-2003, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: Born to Fish ]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts