IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been above tidewater in the Alsea lately. I am getting tired of schoolwork and think I may try my hand in the next couple of days and I am wondering if anything is going on upriver. I don't have a boat here, YET!! so I am going to run on the bank.
Also, I will be draggin' my drifter with me to school soon can anyone recommend some runs that a first timer on the Alsea, or the siletz could run without to much difficulty so that I can get a feel for the rivers.

Thanks

FOD

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
FOD,
I personally don't fish the Alsea for salmon, but I can tell you they're there. Remember that rain we had recently which pushed the rivers up quite a bit? Yup, I know they're up there.
I'd tell you not to try a drift by yourself on the first time. If you don't have experience, or have very little experience, invite someone who has been doing it a while to take you and your boat down a drift. I'd also say the Alsea would probably be a better place to go for a beginner, especially on the Alsea. I don't own a boat, but I went on the Siletz last year from Moonshine to Twin Bridges and there were a couple spots were it was dang hairy.
Good luck, maybe I'll see you out there.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK sparkleboy that is good advice......Sooooooooo!!! when are we going, Just kidding!
I have a few friends who have run parts of the lower alsea and the siletz around moonshine so hopefully I can get one of them to go with me and steer me through. have rowed quite a bit just not on these two rivers. I have stuck mainly to the santiam system and the deschutes.

Thanks again

FOD

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
FOD,
i went to the siletz last sunday for a first time(i went to moonshine park) and the water was low and clear... there were a bunch of people fly fishing (so i guess they weren't fishing for salmon)so it wasn't too crowded. i guess fish aren't thick yet...
i gave up around noon and fired up the barbecue, but right after i did i saw a guy walk out with a chinook (about 30-35#) and he was using a spinner(bluefox-red and brass blade), so i guess the nooks are in the high reaches.....
i haven't heard anything about the alsea, except that it needs some more rain ...
i hope this helps
if you find out something new, feel free to post it or send me an e-mail :rolleyes: :grin:
see ya around
chris

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I have fished the Siletz all my life, and I can tell you, that MAYBE 1 in 20 chinook in and above Moonshine Park are keeper worthy. I would highly recommend you fish lower or try another stream for salmon. I personally have not seen anyone catch a salmon, but from my observations on the river, I also have not seen anything free of white fungus or not ready to spawn.

By the way - are either of you in Mike Gorman's steelhead fishing class?

[ 10-28-2003, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: sparkleboy ]

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
What a great class that was! I took it last year, as well as his Fly Fishing 1 and 2 and Advanced Fly Tying throughout college. It was always nice to have a little change of pace, especially one that got me thinkin' about fishin'. I must say, that class made me miss more of my other classes than any other ever. Once you start thinkin' about fishin', ya just gotta go.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Originally posted by steelhead22:
I must say, that class made me miss more of my other classes than any other ever. Once you start thinkin' about fishin', ya just gotta go.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">No kidding! I'm suffering from that right now. I would be anyway, but taking a steelhead fishing class doesn't help the situation...

·
Registered
857 Posts
I would have to say that Steelhead22 learned very well from the class. He's an excellent fisherman! He and I were out on the Sandy last night, and once again, 1st or 2nd cast, FISH ON!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am currently working on year 7 here in good ol' cowtown and I have to say of all of the classes that I have taken Gorman's fishing series has been the most fun!

He gives you a lot to think about. I have one term of classes left after this and I think I am going to try and get into either the steelhead or fly fishing classes, just for a refresher. Besides the first time was fun twice can't hurt anything right.

FOD

[ 10-29-2003, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: FishOrDie ]

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have done well on the Alsea so far this year. I have not been out for a couple weeks, not sure where the fish are. I'll find them this weekend and let you know!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
grandpalovestofish, true it is that 22 has it down. I feel i always learn something when he's on board and always so willing to share it.
Fishordie, sparkleboy is correct on the Moonshine run. three trouble spots that i know of are just after you put in at moonshine (first rapid), a quater a mile or so after leaving the park ( do I go left and try and stay off the bank and out of the trees or go right where there isless water more boulders but out in the open) and a quater to half mile after the logdson (sp?) store bridge (lots of bedrock shelves and weird angles) I've never done it solo but with a very experienced oarsman. Once at river level 3.97. We high centered in problem spot number 2 going right. I was at the oars. I would not do moonshine agian with water less than 4.5. The around the town drift on lthe siletz is easy and done at levels at 3.5 and higher.
Alsea runs Mill Creek to Campbell, Campbell to Salmonberry and Salmonberry to Missouri Bend are all easy runs with Mill Creek having one trouble spot near the red house (witch you can go survey at mile post 37 i think, anyway its the red house with the red boat used as a planter in the front yard . Just past the house at nearest mile marker is a narrow path to the river. From there down the next quater mile or so is the toughest water. Trees and bedrock shelves) Nothing really to worry about on the Cambell run or the Salmonberry run. The take out at Missouri Bend is a wood slide that has a cable and pully system. It would be good to check to see if the system is up and running before you start your day at Campbell. Your looking for water levels of 3.5 or higher on theese drifts. Feel free to follow me sometime when water gets up to speed. Feel free to email me. Hope this helps. If you learn other runs I be interested in learning them form you as these are the only ones I know on the Alsea/Siletz.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So what you are telling me, is that I am not going to get to make the Alsea runs until we get some more water? Bummer I was looking forward to learning the river a bit. Oh Yeah and get my gear wet and maybe evencatcha fish. Guess I will stick to the bank for now.

FOD

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Peter, is that a recent report? have you been on the Alsea in the last day or so?
I was hoping to fish it tomorrow, I don't usually troll a wiggle wart, how big? color?
How are the fish, still OK?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Comments on drifting the Siletz are right on but I might add that the Twin Bridges to Town drift is in the same league as the Around Town Drift. Also, lots of drift boats fish the tidewaters of both rivers--bobber and eggs, trolling bait and spinners, and , at least on the Siletz, anchoring to troll with the tide.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts