·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might drift the clack on saturday,just wondering if anyone is doing any good

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
We need RAIN!!! It's coming though. Do a search on it, there was a thread about this river a week or so ago. Nothing has really changed since then, word is still that the fishing is SLOW. Only thing that I've heard is that there's a few fish up by the mouth of the Eagle Creek that have been hanging around for a little while. Good luck.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Drifted Barton to Carver as soon as they opened the gate to about 11am. Lot of coho rolling in the early morning in the first few holes we came to (all dark). Fished mostly in the faster broken water as I never have much luck in the slower water the fish are rolling in. C & carefully R'd many clipped (I'm guessing juvenile steelhead) since I don't think they stock trout (11-14"). Very pretty fish with red stripe down the side. Two bankies and a drift boat fishing the first hole we came to had caught one jack and released a dark coho. We were the first boat through all of the lower water and hit all the water that should hold any fresh fish without catching any coho. Didn't see many fish coming in. Water is VERY low right now and drifting would sure be a lot easier in a fiberglass or heavily coated aluminum boat. I'm guessing this week if we get the predicted rain might give a good opportunity at some fresh fish if they are going to come. I'm not holding my breath after this season's summer steelhead bust. I would like to see the rains finally come and bring up the rivers a bunch though...
Bill

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
A friend drifted it Saturday and came up empty and didn't see many fish around.

If they are not there by now, no mater how low it is they probably aren't coming.

The come up the Clack with or without rain so don't hold your breath, the expected rain might bring in a few but they would be there by now.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I recently updated the reports section of my website, it includes a fresh Clack report. :grin: Click on the green letters in my signature,it will get you in the right direction.

Basically there are fish around, and the chromers are biting, but the numbers of fish are much better on the Sandy.

The river(Clack) is low, and there are a few interesting obstacles between Barton and Carver. Most notably the freshly downed trees just as you leave the park, and begin thru the "S" turns. I've been avoiding them all together, by sliding hard right and over a few rocks, at the top of the riffle that pushes you towards the downed trees.

There is also a hidden tree just below Toman's, near the right side (looking downriver), just before the cushion at the rock wall. Easy to miss, just a little bumpy.

The fish aren't really rolling around much,but if you fish like you would steelies, then you're gonna find some chrome coho.

I too ran into the same batch of vicious biting smolts above Cassidy's on Saturday. Fun to play with, but they ate a ton of my eggs :mad: , and even smacked a plug.

I floated solo, and managed a nice chrome hen on eggs, for about 3 1/2 hours of fishing in the late afternoon.

Basically if you want lots of fish and don't mind hiking to find your own water, then the Sandy is the place to be. RIGHT NOW ! If you want a little more adventure and fish that are a tad bit tougher to get into, then visit the Clack.

Tight Lines,
Chris :cool:

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I agree with you Dave they don't need the rain to get up river I just think it helps cool the water and thus the Bite. Thanks for the info.And good luck this season Dave hope to get out with you again someday.

R.R.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
I would have to agree with Dave on that one and if they aren't there by now, it's not looking good. I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed either. Getting late for the early returning hatchery coho.

Fortunately I know some rivers up in SW Washington where the "late strain" coho's are chomping at the bit, or make that eggs, spinners and wiggler's to join you on the bank or in your boat.

Dano

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I called the E.C. hatchery yesterday and they told me only a couple of fish in the holding pond but they are expecting to process fish later this week or possibly the week after. The fish are kegged
up someplace but what concerns me is that a larger than normal percentage will be black. When
they do come they will be hell bent for the Orgie. They get pretty horny when they've been in the
river for awhile.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yesterday a big herd of fish were at Carver swimming around.

I went below the Carver bridge a hundred yars or so for the first time this year and it was like a garbage dump with beer cans, fishing line and lure packages, more dicarded fishing line than I ever seen in one place. I'll be doing a clean up on that area as soon as my sore back is feeling ( I think I pulled a mussel packing out the garbage from last week above the ramp) better...another short notice river clean up.

Pat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts