IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to talk with someone about Columbia Sportswear. Who can I talk with about their fishing vests. I have two of them and may have some pretty good ideas on changes to sell them to salmon/steelhead fisherpeople.

Okay Okay I really want them to change the vests just for me, but that would be at least one they would sell. :grin:

I know loosely related to fishing theres 30 seconds you can't get back and it tool me about 90 seconds to write this can't get those back either.

Kodiakfisher

·
Registered
17,006 Posts
Hey Kodiak, depending on the extent of the alterations you desire, you might want to check out a little Portland shop called Entropy.

They're into making repairs and alternations of outdoor gear. I've not used them personally, but other mountaineers I know like taking their gear there for customized modifications.

·
Premium Member
14,395 Posts
hey kodiak,
my wife got me a vest last year for christmas (and it happens to have been made by columbia sportswear). bless her heart, she's buying me fishing stuff now. i don't particularly care for the vest really but i use it so as to encourage her to buy me more fishing stuff instead of just getting me clothing or cologne.
the reason i don't really care for the vest is that it's really designed for fly fishing, not salmon/steelhead fishing. fly stuff generally weighs next to nothing and goes into teenie tiny little boxes. salmon/steelhead stuff usually weighs somewhat more and goes into larger containers. some of the containers don't go into the pockets very well and i usually end up having to use both hands to open or close the zippers. the vest works OK but it's not really optimized for the type of fishing i do.
you might want to put together your ideas on paper and talk to a patent attorney before you get in touch with any of the gear makers. there's a market for your ideas and it could be worthwhile for you to take the extra step now to protect them.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice ampersat. I not much into "inventing" and patents. Just would like a better product. They probably haven't even thought about a salmon/steelhead fishing vest.

I have lots of ideas on their hunting and fishing equipment. Due to the fact I own most of it if not all of it other than the blaze orange jackets and bibs.

Who knows maybe the market isn't large enough...yeah right. I would just like to talk with someone in Columbia and ask if they have thought of this or that if so thanks for taking time with me. If they haven't your welcome for the great idea.

Doug E. Stefan

·
Premium Member
14,395 Posts
let me tell you a little story related to me by a guy i used to work with.

he was looking for a soft sided fish bag. something to toss the fish he caught into that wasn't boxy and hardsided but had some insulation to it. he talked to a seamstress who was making other outdoor related gear along the same lines and had one made for him. within a month she sold probably forty more of these. who knows how many she's sold since then and all he got was his own bag for free just for giving her the idea.

it sounds like you might really be onto an untapped market. you'd be amazed what your "intellectual property" is worth. at the very least, write down a description of your ideas and maybe a few diagrams and get them notarized before you do anything else. that will establish a date for your ideas and make it difficult for other companies to copy them.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay now that I can do simple effective and would protect my intellectual propertry rights.

Some may argue the intellectual part...so all you smarties out there keep your posts to yourself. :grin: :cheers:

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
I have heard that Columbia Sportswear is not that in to fishing stuff... That's just not their big market.
I don't know who you could talk to, but I could find out with a little looking.

I'll let you know, if I do!
Jen

·
Premium Member
14,395 Posts
along with getting your paperwork notarized (which sets the official date of your ideas), make sure you get a non-disclosure agreement from any company you talk to, before you talk to them. www.nolo.com had this information. you probably can't patent what you have since it's really just a new take on something that's been around for a while. however, the two steps mentioned above will give you legal standing if a company takes your ideas and uses them.

·
Registered
971 Posts
several high end fishing companies (who typically market to fly fishers) got the idea long ago that tons of little pockets can be annoying and impractical on a vest. The manufacturers of the Bi-Mart specials haven't figured this out yet, and so we continue to see some really impractical "fly" vests out there. Vests like the Simms guide, Patagonia reinvest, and Orvis streamline have fewer large pockets that I like. These ain't as cheap as the Bi-mart specials, but they're designed to be comfy with heavy gear for long days on the water.

·
Registered
13,824 Posts
This is the best part of being stupid. Nobody is ever gonna be stealing my intellectual property!

Mark and the smarter than average dog.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
The guy that heads that dept. or did, and knows who to talk to is Bill Robertson...I'll try to get his number @ Columbia Sportswear. :cheers:
They make great products.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Kodiakfisher, tell um to make some bigger sizes for us larger fisherman. We are not all 5'10" and 150 lbs. :grin:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Kodiak and Ampersat,
you would be suprised at what can be patented, even if there is another item almost identical to it that already has a patent. If it improves the existing item it can be patented. An excellent example is the paper clip. You've probably seen the paperclips with the rings/serations on them. Those were patented because they hold the paper better than the normal ones. I checked with a patent attorney once for an item I created and that was what the patent attorney told me.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I have tried all of the lower end vest and was never happy with them, too small for my big bod, small pockets ect... I now have a Filson Guide vest. Lots of room, large pockets and large sizes. I have it set up for salmon and steelhead and must weigh 20 pounds. Pretty spendy vest, but it come with a Filson warranty. I pulled one of the snaps off and they replaced the vest.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I've returned more Columbia stuff than I've ever kept. It seems to be a little on the "cheap" side, even though the price isn't. They used to make a fishing vest that was awesome though! It was huge!!!! It had lots of big pockets, and the back pouch was big enough to stuff 30 pounds of fish in. I hate carrying fish out for several miles, when I could just pack them in the back pouch. They discontinued it in the late 80's, and introduced alot of "fly style" vests. I always wished that I would of bought one of those huge vests...anyone got one for sale???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts