IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering upgrading my Shimano Calcutta 251 to the new Shimano TE 401. Wondering if there are any first hand reviews out there. I hear its the "cat's meow"
for its size.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have a 400 TE. It is a good reel, but so are about a dozen other good reels. If you are using it for trolling, that is a lot of money for what a 6500 or a Pen 209 could do. I have all three, the drag on the 400 is very smooth, and that is the reels best feature. I am sure it casts much better that the other two. It is a good solid reel that is only bought once as it will not need to be replaced by most fishermen.

Hope that helps some

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I've been fishing with one for the last few weeks out of Hammond. It is everything they say it is. Very smooth drag and I love the big handle. It is worth the investment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've used a TE 401 for about 1.5 years now. I had to send it back to shimano last year for a new pinion gear. It had about 200 fish on it at that time. They fixed it with in 48 hours and sent it back. I love the reel but I would look at something else if you are going to be using it in the salt exclusively. Or just make sure you clean it better than any reel you own. If you open it up it looks like the inside of a swiss watch. After each use in the salt I tighten the drag down and then soak it in warm water, not hot. This will dissolve the salt and then rinse with fresh water. I got this cleaning tip from so cal fisherman with thier big Penn reels. They said it was teh best way to clean them, short of breakinbg them down( not just a field strip either) after every trip. Would I buy another one, Maybe, I'll let you know after this year, teh reel is starting to act up again. Might need another pinnion gear again. I hope this helps.

Tight lines,

MJ

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
bigspif

I've had my TE for about a month now and I knew what I was getting long before I purchased :shocked: it. This is truly an awesome tool, Smooth, Smooth, Smooth, by far the best reel I've ever used.

If money is a factor in your decision I would look into the Shimanno Takota (I think that's how it's spelled) they have several to choose from, they are sweet (nice hog handle too) I seen them @ Fishermens.

Peace
Bobby

[ 08-26-2003, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: big n bright ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts