IFish.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine caught this out in the ocean a few weeks ago....anyone know what the heck it is? i guess its got a ton of teeth in it wich makes me thing some sort of eel.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Looks like a Needlefish?:shrug: ...but the mouth doesn't quite look the same.

I caught a Needle while Kayak-fishing down in Honduras. smacked a rapala pretty aggressively.

Yes, a bunch of little teeth line those mouths. I was afraid to grab the rapala.

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts
It may be a needlefish, but if so, it has an even skinnier body than the needlefish I am familiar with from Fla.

I don't think it looks like an eel, they usually have a blunt nose and the ones I know of have skin instead of scales.
ron m

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not sure what he caught it on. he was out tuna fishing. i will have to ask when i see him again. i googled the needlefish under images and he sure looks like the images that come up....i have to think that needle is right on. thanks for the in put

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Here is a Needlefish we got while making bait at a tourney down south.
Photo was edited to block out a sticker that wouldnt fly here on ifish.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Looks like a type of cutlass or ribbon fish, they use them as bait for king mackeral in the Gulf of Mexico.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
It's head looks like a young barracuda. Here is a picture of one:

In the early 1990's a four foot barracuda washed up on the beach at Pacific City. It was still alive.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Its a lancetfish- a very young one. The lancetfish usually lives in really deep water. Nice catch- purty cool.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for all the replies i have forwarded them to my friend and i am sure that he will be happy to know what the heck that critter is.
thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts