IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking my wife and a couple friends out tomorrow to fish the Astoria area and she does not like to deal with the afternoon wind and chop... come to think of it who does. :shrug: I was thinking of launching at the Deep River launch because I wanted to try above the bridge during the outgoing... does anyone use this launch?

How about the run out is it well marked or do you really not have to worry about it, my boat will run in 5" on plane but I would rather have an easy time. How far of a run is it to the bridge?

Knowing a takeout on this side of the river would be helpful when the water gets real nasty so any information would be appreciated.

While I am asking have any of you ran accross the sands above the bridge? Is it passable during low tide? Again I can run is pretty shallow water, thought I would throw it out as the East Basin Ramp might be an option as well.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I've used the deep river ramp for many years and the channel is well marked. You will need to be careful, as the water is very shallow in some areas. The channel is deep enough for your boat but there are several turns and if it's foggy, the channel markers are too far apart to be much aid. A GPS map or following someone who has one will be a big help.
Chris

·
Registered
501 Posts
5-Cents, whatever you do, don't try to cut between any of the red dolphins in the Deep River channel. I have seen a lot of jet boats stuck out there waiting for the next high tide. The channel is well marked and you shouldn't have any trouble. After you pass Rocky Point, I usually turn toward the shore a little ways and then head for hills to the west. After you pass Portugees Point, its smooth sailing. Its about a 20 minute boat ride to the bridge in my 20' JetCraft. Good luck and have fun.

love2fish

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Great replies, I've wondered the same thing for the same reasons :cheers: ....never seems as windy in the afternoons above the bridge.

[ 08-23-2003, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Rapid Robert ]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Be very careful to follow the markers. You should be able to find someone to follow out tomorrow. I'll be there in the early a.m. what time you showing up?
Talked to a buddy camping down there today and he said it was foggy this morning. Couldn't see the markers.
Good luck carrot man.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies :cheers:

We wont be down there to latter in the morning as my mom is watching the kids and she wont get up at 5AM! :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Exactly.....Follow the markers out no matter how deep it looks on the other side. As far as crossing above the bridge, I'm assuming OR to WA, it can be done but as close to the bridge as possible. Last time down there it was very rough........and all of a sudden it got smooth.........why......4 inches of water!!!!! :shocked: Can't wait for the report.

Green Machine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts