IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem/question. What I have is a early 80's 7.5hp 4 stroke honda, it runs great. Starts on 1st or 2nd pull, runs until I push in the choke. It acts as a kill switch. If I put it in gear it will run with the choke in, but not long (10-15 min). Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful.I changed the thermostat, head gasket, intake gask,taken apart carb and completely cleaned all jets and valves.I can't think of anything else. On a budget so I thought I would ask here first. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
A friend was having engine problems and it turned out to be the primer bulb on the fuel line. It was clogged up, not allowing enough fuel to pass through.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I agree with Northriverman check from the tank to the motor. Does the primer bulb stay pumped up? Will it run if you continue to pump the bulb? Maybe then fuel pump.

·
Registered
236 Posts
also make sure the knob on top the gas cap is open so air can get in. if its causing a suction it well sound like a soda bottle being opened when you open the gas cap. also check and see if there is a link between the choke and throttle cable, it seams that all the motor makers are coming up with sliding, swiveling, ball jointed, spring loaded, trip activated, gosinya/gosoutya devices that some times just need a little WD-40 to make right or they are hooed up backwards...DJ

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
The choke bypasses the low idle jets, so when you are on choke you are using a different fuel ciruit than when running normally. It sounds like your carb is gummed up and just needs a cleaning. Could be as simple as stripping is down and getting out the bad fuel and clearing the restricted jets. It doesn't take much plaque to do this, and is often easily fixed.

I have seen this on many different types of ATV, and mowers.

gus

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for these im gonna try the carb rebuild again to see if it might be plugged.Also gonna look at fuel pump.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Sir Fish Alot, All those suggestions sound great...i have a 96,15hp 4 stroke Honda...It wouldn't idle...but started and ran with choke pulled...once i pushed it in :hoboy: crapped out :shrug: On my motor...there is a spring loaded idle screw that had backed itself out...screwed it in half a turn....Like new again...this happened when it was 2 yrs old...had to adjust once since..i'm just too lazy to go out and get a new spring.. :wink:

Good luck,

MrDorkfish

Louis

[ 06-27-2003, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Mrdorkfish ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts