IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for ingredients for Taco Seasoning that I can make at home.
The seasoning packets suck and would love to find a go to recipe.

I like to make Treager smoked/grilled chicken thighs and or beef for enchiladas and want something new. I usually prep extra to chop and throw in the freezer for quicky meals too.
Thanks

· Registered
3,805 Posts
Here's another seasoning recipe I've saved. If you don't have New Mexico chile powder, any chili powder can substitute. Smoked paprika is nice, but regular paprika can substitute. Cumin makes all the difference in Mexican seasoning, but not too much of it.
Font Number

· Registered
2,569 Posts
I, personally, can't stand that premixed pouch crap. I think, after 35 years, the wife finally stopped using it ... for now. We generally free hand the spices. Your favorite season salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cyan, and cumin do a nice job. You can get a variety of ground hot peppers to experiment with. We have homemade smoke dried chili powder that goes on all spicy dishes. No need to make a big batch. I also like to add a little salsa to the mix. Just taste as you go. Gotta trust yourself. Gound meat will use more than you think. You can do this!

· Registered
757 Posts
I, personally, can't stand that premixed pouch crap. I think, after 35 years, the wife finally stopped using it ... for now. We generally free hand the spices. Your favorite season salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cyan, and cumin do a nice job. You can get a variety of ground hot peppers to experiment with. We have homemade smoke dried chili powder that goes on all spicy dishes. No need to make a big batch. I also like to add a little salsa to the mix. Just taste as you go. Gotta trust yourself. Gound meat will use more than you think. You can do this!
Rickster-- Do you de-seed the peppers before smoking/drying?

· Registered
2,569 Posts
Nope. Wash them and put them in the Traeger on smoke setting until they are dry and crunchy. Then into the food processor. Hold yer breath! I control the spice and heat by the peppers I choose. I like it mild, so lots of pablono and less of the hotter types.

· Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's another seasoning recipe I've saved. If you don't have New Mexico chile powder, any chili powder can substitute. Smoked paprika is nice, but regular paprika can substitute. Cumin makes all the difference in Mexican seasoning, but not too much of it.
View attachment 1000057
Trying this on the weekend.
Like the smoked paprika addition

1 - 9 of 9 Posts