IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a 90/65 jet on a 17\' Super Vee

I bought a 2001, 17' Alumaweld Super Vee with a 2002 60/40 Jet. It works great with one person, good with 2 and falls flat with 3 people on board. I clock about 26mph with one, 24 mph with 2, 20 mph with one and it takes forever to get on plane. I want to put a 90/65 on it but I would like to see how much I would gain before buying one. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Re: Anyone have a 90/65 jet on a 17\' Super Vee

I had an 85 hp jet on a 17 ft Almar Lite, years ago. It wasn't enough. I'd go to at least 115.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Have to agree with willierower. I have a 1994 17' super vee w/ 115/80 Evinrude jet w/ stainless steel impeller and it is not overpowered by any means. I've actually thought about stepping up to a 150(max recommended), but don't have the cash currently. Don't get me wrong, it goes fine w/ the 115, but it's not like having a 20' w/ a 200 on back (which is what I'd really like). If you were a little closer I'd invite you out, but I don't get to Idaho very often. Good luck whichever way you go.

Trent

·
Registered
2,284 Posts

jump up to an 115/80 Jet. Thats whats on the 17' Super Vee Ive been running. Its still not quite enough. With 3 guys and a ton of gear it takes awhile to get up on plane. With just me in the boat its almost scary.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

As said many times before, you can never have too much horsepower...

Go with a Yamaha 150hp

·
Registered
490 Posts

I run the 65 Jet on a 16' super v and it has plenty of whomp. Everything is going to puff harder with a full load of meat. Have you tried shimming the impeller? If there is a lot of clearance, you will see an improvement if you tighten up. Mfg's recomendations of .30 clearance is way too large. Set the shims so that the impeller just barely touches the sleeve and see what that does. I think that the wholesale recomendations to put the biggest motor on that you can are wrong. Besides using way more fuel, the bigger motors are going to be a lot heavier. You can reach a point on a boat that short the the weight of the motor works against you when trying to get up. I think a much better idea, after you've shimmed the pump, is to move as much weight to the bow as you can. I don't mean the pork bellies you might be haulin. :grin: I'm talking about batteries, fuel, anchor, etc. Especially if you have a trolling motor mounted on the transom also.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention the motor is a tiller and the rating on the boat says 60/40. I did get word from the boat dealership that it would be safe to put a 90/65 on it. This motor only has about 12 hours on it. I'll measure the impeller clearance and keep my eyes out for a 65hp. I think if I need to go higher than that I will sell the boat and go bigger. I would love to get a 20 foot with a 200! But as with some of us; money is an issue.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts

Out Back,
Good luck on your search for a 90/65 jet tiller. I've been looking for one for more than 4 months. There are truly a scarce commodity. I wish I had never sold my 50hp Yamaha, I've been motorless for tooooo long!! :depressed:

·
Registered
535 Posts

I have a 17 Super Vee Pro with the 90/65. The boat is heavy ( .190 bottom, .125 sides, coaming gunnel,large tank in the floor,etc.) The boat,motor,and trailer weigh 2550 lbs. so my guess is the boat, motor and gear probably weigh about 1750 to 1950. The boat jumps out of the hole fine with 1 or 2 people, when you add the third it struggles. Top speed is about 28-30 mph. I am installing a prop lower unit this weekend and hopeful that it will perform better and not have to run the motor so hard. I have a SS impeller and it does not make a significant difference in this horsepower. I talked with Woolridge in Seattle ( they are suppliers of impellers and other jet parts and accessories)and they told me that 90 hp is not enough power to turn up the SS impeller efficiently. I would recommend that anyone considering this to research it before you plop down the $400 for the impeller.Weight would be a consideration on the short boat and like the other person said fuel, batteries, etc moved forward could help.I do not know if the 115 would be enough when you consider the extra weight. If I were going to stay with the pump I would work on the weight distribution. The individuals use requirements seem to be the real issue. The 17 is a great 2 person boat with the 90/65 but in my opinion it is less than adequate with 3 or more people and gear. I will know soon if the prop changes this situation. My 2 bits worth.
Mike

·
Registered
2,379 Posts

Out Back,
Sell it and get an old V-Sled. You know you have caught more (and bigger) fish in my boat! :grin:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

A SV lite should get on top a bit easier than a SV Pro with less weight and a shallower vee. But in any case I would go "minimum" 115/80 jet combo. If you truly run whitewater of any size, you will need much more juice for the downstream run and turning throttle.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts

I payed some attention to the boats in the high teens length and the motors they run in the last couple days, I am not sure the 115/80 is adequate in some cases. A few performed well, but I think a few knew that they could be doing better.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

for what it is worth, advise is what you pay for it......... and I had a 17'supervee with a 115/80 and it was a flying machine. But you had to have a little room to get it onto a plane. I, plus the motor and a kicker and the gas tank in the back made for all the weight dirtribution to be in the same bad area. Of course it will be slow out of the hole. Put those porkbellie passangers to the front a little more to offset the rear lead head, and it makes a big difference. I added a couple sand bags up front and it really helped a lot. More than enough power and learn to be patient to start with. Also if you have some room on the water, you can zig zag out of the hole and it helps get on plane quicker. Don't know why but it works.

Do your research and be patient, you bought it and may as well leart to be happy with it. I bet it is a perfect Clack boat as the water flow helps get onto plane too. Now that is my 2cents worth.

·
Registered
662 Posts

I had the same boat for three years, 115 on it. It is a great boat, but the weight of the boat per sq ft. of the bottom, makes it very hard to pop out of the hole like the bigger, wider boats. I now drive a 23 super vee, I had a 250 on it for a while, now have a 200. More power does not always help speed or getting out of the hole. It's a balance of boat, power, water and so on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts