IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone do this? My typical setup for steelhead is a FCJ with a pink worm threaded on the hook. I don't see why this wouldn't also work for salmon. I'm thinking I'll just use a larger jig and target deeper water.

I'm considering heading over the the Wilson this weekend, with hopes that this rain pushes some fresh fish (including salmon) upriver.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
My first springer was taken on a jig on the sandy. so if you can get the jig in the salmons face it will take it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
As long as its fished moving or on a float...I witnessed a bunch (and I mean bunch) a liners,flossers, in my book snaggers last year throwing them out and leaving them on the bottom. and when they felt the line move they would jerk back....they swear they were biting the jig because the jig would be near the mouth....when I showed them my theary on how the lead part made the fishs mouth open and the hook would hit the top of the mouth they just wanted to defend there position to the end...(great sportsmen) I called the fish and game department but instead of coming out and writing tickets they hung a sign saying if the problems didnt end and the farmers dog didnt get returned the river would be closed (the dog had slipped a lease and dissapeared..they did get it back.....but I have had some good success on silvers with green,blue,white jigs swimming them....DJ

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DJFISHS2XS, the "lining" you talk about sounds pretty un-sportsmanlike - snagging is not cool. I think mgm is correct in that if you can drift a jig in front of a salmon (the difficult part), they will take it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have fished for coho with the small 1/4 and 3/8 ounce jigs. I do not use a float as the fish key on a falling jig. Simply cast it out and work it back using GENTLE twitches. Try to visualize the jig lifting about a foot then fluttering back down. This is absolutly deadly for coho and pinks. I have not had much sucess using the jig for chinook. For chums, the 1/4 ounce Beau mac jig under a float is the very best. Chums dont want a rapidly moving lure.

·
Registered
141 Posts
SURECATCH that works very well in the big bend hole out on the sandy, what color jigs and sizes do you like to use.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
The chinook I got on the sandy was taken with a 1/4 oz jig beneath a float about 6' deep. I started with about 3 feet beneath the jig, then on each cast lowered the jig about 12 inches and cast again. There was nothing tentative about the hit. Which leads me to believe that I got the jig up close and personal to this fish.

or

i might have just gotten lucky or this fish was none to smart.

·
Registered
192 Posts
About 10 years ago, two of us were jigging with twintail jigs tipped with a night crawler for walleyes near Longview in late February. My partner all of the sudden said he had something, which was soon obvious was not a walleye. After about a 15 minute fight on light gear, we netted an 18 lb. Springer. He had taken the jig deep indicating he was going to eat it. Needless to say, we switched from walleye fishing to Springer fishing for the rest of the season.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Coho Clint:

For coho I have had great sucess with pink, cerise, copper and blue and green. I make my own using 3/8 ounce Gamakatsu jig head and flashabou. They are super easy to make and are deadly. I have fished coho all over their range and nothing works better. Last year, fishing on the beach at Whidby Island I hooked 11 coho on my jigs while my two buddies got 1 on Buzz Bombs.

On the Alagnak River, in Alaska, we fly fish the coho, but to see if any are around we toss a jig. We call it our prober. If nothing hit the jig there's no use tossing flies.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm also going to be trying out the pink worm on a jig this weekend on the Wilson. I've got a bunch of the ones that DepoeBayDan gave out at the jetty party that I have been wanting to try out. :grin:

I would love to head out tomorrow, but people keep inviting me to meetings :mad:

·
Registered
391 Posts
i was just wondering that too!
i saw a thing in STS about using a cross between a jig and a fly and twitching it..they had good results :smile:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'm surprised FirstcastJigs has not chimed into this post.....I can tell you that he likes to try his "Kingfisher Blue" jigs for salmon. They have a nice strong hook on them and look pretty good to me and I do know he has landed springers on them in the past.

Half Canuck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts