IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be out crabbing sunday out of hammond.
16' beige starcraft or my buddies 20' alumaweld
intruder. Should be 4 of us in the boat. I'll have my green cabelas guide bibs on, they are so toasty. If you see us say hi, and good luck to you all too.
GBS

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oops, looks like it will be my boat, the 16' starcraft with the ifish sticker on the windshield. my crabbing buddy backed out, oh well, more crab for me!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was down the past 2 weekends and might go again this Sunday if the East wind isn't blowing to hard.
I have a 16' Arima and usually put the traps down around marker 22.
The past couple of weekends have been great, lots of real nice crab out there. I have been using Turkey legs for bait and getting all the crab I need and then some.
I think I have seen you out there before, I will keep a eye out for you.
Good luck...........Big Dave.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I plan to be there too. 19' White striped Duckworth. OB with I-Fish decals on the front windows. See ya there.

·
Registered
315 Posts
What are the combined seas around the bouy 22 area, looking at the bar report, be nervous out there. Is it fairly protected, since your going out in a 16' boat???

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I too hope to be out there. 17ft Hewescraft searunner.Say hi. No stickers yet but in the making.

Netone, you don't get combined seas at bouy 22 but maybe sever wind chop at times. This weekend look great. 15 mph winds. :dance:

COASTAL WATERS FROM CAPE SHOALWATER WASHINGTON TO FLORENCE OREGON
AND WESTWARD 60 NM

Bassin, I'll be looking for ya so ya better watch out. :grin:

:smile: Smily :smile:

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PORTLAND OREGON

830 AM PST FRI NOV 7 2003

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY...
TODAY...SE WIND 25 KT... WIND WAVES 5 FT... W SWELL 5 FT AT 12 SECONDS.
TONIGHT...SE WIND 25 KT... WIND WAVES 5 FT... W SWELL 6 FT AT 10 SECONDS. CHANCE OF RAIN.
SAT...E WIND 15 KT... WIND WAVES 3 FT... W SWELL 5 FT AT 10 SECONDS.
SAT NIGHT...NE WIND 10 KT... WIND WAVES 2 FT... W SWELL 5 FT
SUN...NE WIND 10 KT... WIND WAVES 3 FT... W SWELL 4 FT
SUN NIGHT...N WIND 15 KT... WIND WAVES 3 FT... W SWELL 4 FT

·
Registered
475 Posts
Once again I'll ask the rookie question... where's bouy 22?
crabbed for the first time in T-Bay this year... we did ok but had to put in a fair amount of work. Other suggestions for Bait?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bouy 22....Go to Hammond boat launch, go out the jetty entrance and hang a left.....22 will be the first red can bouy on your right, unless your in the ship channel, then it will be on your left.
You can start dropping your traps anywhere around the 22. I usually go towards the Oregon shore line approx 1/4 mile from the bouy.
Have a great time !
Big Dave.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shad is the go to bait for me. I'm going to experiment with marie's shrimp scent too.
Maybe I'll meet some of you at the ramp, I'll be there around 7am.
GBS

·
Registered
315 Posts
I typically recommend "road kill" for crab bait. This summer was an outstanding year for Skunk, the warm weather assisted in the curing process. If anyone is in need of "road kill" crab bait, let me know, since my wife wants it all out of the garage, the frezzer broke about in July...

Man I wish I could get out this weekend...but have to go to the College fair with my son...oh well

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
If it gets too rough down at 22, try by the pilings that are just downstream from the entrance to the Hammond boat basin, less than 1/2 mile. :cheers:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm headed down there tomarrow morning with my son and two granddaughters. I'll be in a 18 food gregor with ifish decals and my name on the side. If we get back at a reasonable time I'll let you know how we did. We'll be useing salmon carcs. and chicken.

Tight lines to ya,
or maybe I should say, heres full pots to ya

·
Registered
472 Posts
Went to Hammond yesterday, there were white caps INSIDE the mooring basin. Took a look outside & it looked nasty so we went to Nehalem & threw back undersized crabs all day. Crabbed out of Hammond last Sat & pulled 5 limits in 2 hrs starting at low slack. Used a mix of Shad & Chicken. Big crabs at least half of them were off the guage

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Okay, Here is a a report.

It was a bust. :shocked:

Winds were nasty and seen some bigger boats (25 footers) go out there to only turn around and go back in. There was some people that made it out there and got crab but even one of them said some one was getting green. We had 2 little ones and didn't feel like being cork in a washer machine.

Fess up, who else had a nice drive this morning or did all you make it out there? :whazzup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well, here's my report. What a great day! Son and grandaughters got to my house at "O dark 30", and we headed for Hammond. Got there about 8:30am. and sat at the ramp and watched a few boats leave the dock; watched a few more minutes as the whitecaps built, and decided to see what Chinook looked like. After looking things over from the Chinook vantage point, we headed back to Astoria :smile: . Went to the museum, where the girls had a great time. From there, had a great lunch, crossed back across the bridge, and had an enjoyable peacefull trip up the Washington side. While there were no crabs to clean, boat motor to flush out, etc. I consider it a very successful day to be with family having fun :grin: ; and being able to say we are not

I truely hope every one had as an enjoyable day as I did.

Tight lines, and full pots to all

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well, here's my report. Got out to the hammond ramp around 8am. Looked a little choppy but turned out to be pretty decent conditions, even laid down a bit. We had two limits of mostly big crab, some off the scale by 9:45. Bad newsd is I lost one pot!! If you see it, please let me know. It's about 100 yds up river of bouy 22 in 32' of water. Red/white bouy with a 2' post and dark teal flag. Letters on the bouy say BAK or LIN
if you find it, I'd love it back and even give a reward! My home number is 503-788-3762.
Thanks,
GBS

[ 11-09-2003, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Way to go Greenbutskunk.

Like to hear these kind of reports. :cheers:
Sorry to hear of the lost trap though. We have watched ours drift ovr half a mile before finding them. Happy we did. I'll let LipRiper kow about this as he is going I think tommorow.

[ 11-09-2003, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Smily ]

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
HEY Smily How's it going? :cheers:
My report: 3 hour out there. ended with 19 keepers, One sea sick friend, and one trap that a seal broke in top of, plus we lost all our fish baits and ended up using turkey legs. I have never had a problem with seals there before. Smart little guy, Would watch us drop the rings or pots, dive down and strip them.
I think I may try it Tuesday. Any one else going down?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts