IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still evaluating a small carry gun for when Janey is with me in the woods. By chance does anybody have 5 round fairly short barrel revolver 357 mag (prefered), or 40 cal that they would be willing to let me shoot. I will figure out how to make it easy and worth your while.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
749 Posts
A friend of mine just found a Smith 340 and is negotiating a purchase.
I will let you know but think .357 is no advantage if you're using a snubbie.
Flash and concussion will be huge.

·
Banned
5,459 Posts
Hey Steve,

I've a .357 Scandium Frame S&W with a 2 inch Snubbie.

Weighs 12 oz, light to pack all day, and shooting it is a memorable experience.
The shock and Awe factor from just the sound alone are enough to stop anybody, in case that doesn't work, then the 110 Grain Hollowpoint will knock a hole the size of a coffee can into just about anything you point it at.

I can target shoot with .38 Spcl rounds and they are much more forgiving.

Next time you are up my way, Blast me a call and I'll let you give it a go.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've owned a S&W Model 60 in .357 for a bunch of years. It's a 5 shot with a 2 1/8" barrel. Love the pistol. Very happy with it. Great carry gun, shoots well, handles well. I've packed it in the woods a lot. I had a girlfriend who had small hands and it fit her like a glove. She had no problem packing and shooting it.

I'd stay away from the lightweight alloys like scandium if recoil is a factor for your woman.

The .357 is a great round. Definitely go with a .357 rather than a .38. You can practice with the .38's and carry the .357's for field carry. A .357 even with a 2" barrel is better that a .38 in a 2" barrel.

I generally shoot 158 grain loads.

If you can, go with a 4" barrel. You get better accuracy and a little more velocity.

Just my opinion and your welcome to it.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I have the taurus 651t 17oz titanium frame. Like duckboy said practice with .38's and pack .357's.

One thing to think about is most HP rounds (including federal hydrashocks) will not expand much if any out of a 2" barrel. I switched to Corbon Pow'R Ball ammo. It is like a rubber ballistic tip that mushrooms to the size of a quarter.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I own a J frame S&W 60. Love it. Small enough to pack around with enough firepower to deliver the coup de gras to a large elk with NO worries. Considering what I've seen on video, probably more than enough to stop a kitty that got too close. To say nothing of the 2 legged problems....... Not enough for bear, though. Relatively cheap, too.

One thing about small .357s. If you like to shoot a bunch of full-house .357 rounds, you'll have to send it in after a few years to be tightened back up. They aren't the best for holding up to that recoil. And from reading up on them prior to buying one, all the makes/models suffer from that. It's just a small wheelgun thing, I guess. Sight it with the big shells, plink with .38s.

Eric

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
SP 101 Ruger. What a kicker and very LOUD!

Rusty
Ditto. I just bought one and it barks and bites.
Me too, intimidating but no fun to shoot. Sold it and bought a Glock 17.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Here's one I have next to a 4" 686...

It's one of my fav revolvers...really sweet for carrying! :applause:

:cheers:

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've shot my buddy's S&W scandium framed .357 with .38's and .357 target loads. Kicks like a mule with the .357's and thats just target rounds. I'm not into feeling pain when I fire a gun. I would not want to shoot it with .357 self defense rounds.

·
Registered
92 Posts
SP 101 FOR ME! This is not a gun I have for going target shooting, it's for protection. I carrie it 99.99% of the time and shoot it .01% of the time. That being said, I did go with the 101 because of it having more size & weight than the LT weight Smiths I have owned in the past. It is nicer to shoot, for me anyway! Just my input.
Always nice to have five buddies with you that can run 1200 fps! Mark

·
Piscatologist
2,684 Posts
In Handguns and Stopping Power written by Marshal and Sanow and from Paladin press the 357 mag. 125 GR HP from Federal was the most lethal handgun round. In their follow-up book Stree Stoppers; The Latest Handgun Stopping Power Street Results this round was still at the of the list for effective rounds. This is why I carry a Ruger 101 with this load.

These two books are very interesting to read. Don't loan them to friends. I have lost two copies of each book loaning to friends who had friends who wanted to read them and where those four books are is a mystery.

These two books give great incite to handgun battles, effective rounds and what the survival response time people have remaining when fatally wounded. All of the data in the books are based on real shooting events. The books cover nearly all handgun cartridges and bullets types. They list the number of documented shootings for each hand round, bullet type and how they performed. If you are gong to carry a handgun for self defense, these are must read books along Ayoob's books on carrying a handgun.

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I appreciate your advice and offers. I spent Sat fishing wieh some friends and two of them have forgotten more about guns than I know. At this point I am exploring the Ruger SP 101.

Please keep the offers and advice coming.

FB

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Opinion only...mine not & necessarily anyone else
357 2" is a gun small enough not to be left in the truck on 3rd day of 8 day hunt.
But way more punch than needed in the woods on most 4 legged critters
The full house 165 /175 hard cast will penetrate very deep into the fresh cut log
Of green douglas fir & 3 of them together will split one open like a maul...
I have owned a 5 shot 2" Taurus 605 since EARLY 90s
Shot everything from mild 38s to full house H110 125 xtp fireball loads
Cylinder is very tight has never had a malfunction ...I feel like it's a gun
That will be doing the exact same thing when my son is my age
I prefer to load specific loads for it 160 WFN. with longshot at 1200 fps
Big punch in small pkg
I have a 1006 in 10mm awsome but heavy
Delta elite beter wight but don't like to beat it up
S&W 686 4" spectacular gun but back up to almost to heavy for every mile in mountains
Taurus 44 mag 4 " that I carry only on coyote hunts for the single hope to punch one out over at 100 yds +
Someday one will give me the opertunity to drop the hammer
The little tiny 357 is a serious contender with 380 type weight
That punches way out of its class
10mm lightweight would be only better comparison
And trust me I have looked for 3" upper to switch out on my 1006
With 2 extra 9 rnd mags would trump my little 357...till then
I will be carrying the lighter 357....IMHO. .lol

1 - 20 of 38 Posts