IFish.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody on this board know how rebuild carberators on a outboard motor.

[ 07-16-2003, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: worldlyme ]

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
What is it doing? Or what is it NOT doing?

they are not too tough. Just make sure that your screwdrivers are the right size. Then just go slow. Get a book that shows an exploded view of the thing.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had my carberators on my outboard rebuilt 4 months ago by a marine dealer. I was wondering why my motor was leaking gas so i popped off the cover and carberators are leaking fuel from the seals and screws. I was told by a friend in order to fix them they need to be rebuilt. they are 3 carberators on my outboard. my outboard is a 115 mercury 1985.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
carberators are leaking fuel from the seals and screws
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Uhhh, try tightening the screws. :shrug:

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
I did mine, and I didn't really know what I was doing. The motor runs better now.

Typically all the seals will come in a "kit." So first, you find the parts (Oregon Outboard Salvage), then you find a repair manual (library), then you take 'em apart, then you put 'em together ("and hide the extra pieces")

uhhh ... wait ... you just PAID to have them done? First step is to have the bonehead do it right. :mad:

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
I agree with Lost Sailor, the situation needs to be corrected by the dealer that bungled them in the first place. Don't let 'em buffalo you.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
go back the the dealer,, unless you put 300 hours in em in the last 4 months, the dealer should stand by his work.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Take it back to the dealer.

If that don't work, I just bought the gasket kit for my 1984 115 Merc for a whopping 5.95.

Mark and the quicksilver dog.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked into doing it myself but i dont know how you would tune the carberators back. Because my motor is a inlign six with carbs in a straight row so they have be in time with each other.

[ 07-16-2003, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: worldlyme ]

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I happen to be doing a bit of electrical work on my 2001 200EFI Merc. I found the troubleshooting manuals online at outboardmarine.com. I downloaded the important sections. They have mostly recent stuff. But with a ohm/volt meter I have done some troubleshooting, ordered the parts and saved some money by eliminating the "spend money till it's fixed" syndrome. By the way you can get quotes on parts from national parts distributors that can save you 10-20% including frieght. They might even have it in stock as opposed to our local suppliers. And the 10-16 day lead times can be avoided and you are on the water faster.
Somebody on this site has said learn something and do it yourself! So I am. (Until I screw up a $12k engine!) :shocked:

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Assuming the motor runs OK now (except for the gas leakage) just count how many turns it takes to screw in the adjustment screws until they stop. That's your starting point when you put them back together.

Did that make sense? There is a high speed adjustment and a low speed (idle) adjustment. When the screws are all the way in - no gas - so it's just a matter of how far unscrewed they are that determines the mixture of fuel to air.

I would be surprised if there is much variation between your three carbs (again, assuming it runs smooth now). Mine has two carbs for 4 cylinders, so, similar thing. "Timing" is not an issue, the carbs just mix the fuel with the air.

Remember, my comments are based on my experience with 43-year-old outboard carburetors, plus some old Datsuns and lawn mowers and chain saws and stuff ...

Shocking that the dealer has no integrity. I would be broadcasting the name of that business all OVER the Internet.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just went to the library and got the manual it explains on how to do a carberator but only problem is that i am not very good at doing mechanic work even with a manual. Would sombody on this site be willing to come over and help me do my carberators. I would be willing to pay some money and also some fishing trips in exchange. I just want to get my boat done before bouy 10 opener.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Worldly,

I have done it before. I am dumb as a stick. You can do it. It is a metal brick with some holes in it.

The low speed idle screw is the only part that requires thought. Before you take it apart, screw it in til it stops. Count how many turns it takes to bottom out( clockwise). When you put it back together, bottom the screw out( clockwise), then back it up to where it was before( counterclockwise).

If I had any doubt, I would tell you to take it in. If you own just a few screwdrivers, you are ready. Take your time, and keep yourself and the carb clean. Nobody likes gunky hands.

All you are doing is replacing the bad gaskets.You need not replace all of the internal units. Just the leakers.

Oh yeah, before you do any of this take the boat outside in the sunlight. Make sure that none of the gas lines are leaking.It is pretty common( when I did my bottom carb,I found 3 lines were split.) to see this.Might as well do it when you are in there.

Oh yeah, you wanna tell us the name of the wrench that did the work? If it is his fault, I would just as soon avoid him in the future.
Mark and the no problemo dog.

[ 07-16-2003, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Flatfish ]

·
Premium Member
14,297 Posts
hey worldlyme,

before you do anything, try tightening up the screws near where it's leaking. the shop probably just did a sloppy job putting it all back together. if that doesn't do it, pull the carbs and have a go at it.

it's easy. you've got the manual. all you're doing are the seals. check it in sunlight all hooked up and make note of what's leaking where. it may just be some hoses. most likely you're not going to have to adjust the jets at all. no matter what comes in the kit, don't touch the jet adjustments and you'll be in good shape.

also, i don't really think you'll be wanting to run your flat bottom sled out to buoy 10 this fall. shallow boats go down really fast out there.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Will you get leaking gas if the float is stuck and won't shut off?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts