IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ready to head east just as soon as able to launch our boat at Hewitt.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Depending on boat size, launching can be done in Powder River arm before recommended water level. Be careful, very muddy. Launch at Moonshine requires drive over the hill from Richland but it is not a big deal and you can boat toward dam from there. I’m sure pressure will be down if people cannot launch at Hewitt. How much do you want to catch crappies?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
But not bad enough to drive all the way to Shasta.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
You might want to rethink that. Crappies average 13 inches. Nobody targets them. We worked hard for 12-18 per day. Biggest was 14.5 inches. No small ones. Thick fish. Your side catch is the numerous spotted bass. One jumbo bluegill. Headed back early May. Spawn will be over soon. All my spots are 20 ft. Out of water. Have to hunt them now. Shasta is 5 hours from Bend. Richland is 5.5 hours away. Easy choice this time of year. Waiting for Prineville bite to start.

·
Registered
603 Posts
You might want to rethink that. Crappies average 13 inches. Nobody targets them. We worked hard for 12-18 per day. Biggest was 14.5 inches. No small ones. Thick fish. Your side catch is the numerous spotted bass. One jumbo bluegill. Headed back early May. Spawn will be over soon. All my spots are 20 ft. Out of water. Have to hunt them now. Shasta is 5 hours from Bend. Richland is 5.5 hours away. Easy choice this time of year. Waiting for Prineville bite to start.
It sounds amazing, one of these days I will make the trip from La Grande. I really enjoy reading your reports about it. Good luck in May.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ready to head east just as soon as able to launch our boat at Hewitt.
My wife's grandparents are there now. He fished Saturday the 17th and caught 4 smallmouth and my son caught a smaller crappie they used as a baitfish for catfishing but no luck. The water is low and still cold. The last report from ODFW is that perch and crappie is starting to heat up with fish being caught in the 12-16 inch range. We will head over next Tuesday the 27th and be there for 10 days. The water level hasn't budged in days still stuck at 2033'. My wife's grandpa can't do the walk by himself at the Moonshine Mine launch so he is waiting for us to get there before he can fish again. I'll post updates after I've been there a few days to get a feel for what's going on. I haven't been there when the water is this low and we usually put in at Hewitt / Holcomb. It's supposed to rain for a few days and the temps aren't expected to be higher than low 70's so it will be a bit colder than I'm used to as well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Idaho Power website shows Brownlee at 2041 this morning. Hewitt launch is "useable" at 2041 and rising at the rate of 1 foot a day. Time to go! Please post updates on crappie fishing (are they in the shallows? are they numerous?) if you go. I am also interested in learning the water temperature in the Powder River Arm if anybody has that information.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Idaho Power website shows Brownlee at 2041 this morning. Hewitt launch is "useable" at 2041 and rising at the rate of 1 foot a day. Time to go! Please post updates on crappie fishing (are they in the shallows? are they numerous?) if you go. I am also interested in learning the water temperature in the Powder River Arm if anybody has that information.
Thank you!! Guess I need to start making plans to make the drive from Creswell. Love fishing at Brownlee.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts