IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for help please.My stepdaughter blew a head gasket or 2 on her 93 V-6.4x4 p/u.And I hope didnt do more damage than that. I'm finally ready to pull the heads.Whew!!! The Haines repair manual I have says to pull the cams before pulling the heads.I'm wondering if thats really necessary just to pull the heads and check them out,then hopefully replace the head gaskets.If you have any other pointers you would like to share I would appreciate any input.
Thanks,
HntnFsh

· Registered
4,953 Posts
You may have already thought of, or are doing this, but just as a "pointer" :wink: I would have the heads surfaced and checked (magnafluxed?)for crack/s. Chances are the head surface will have some warp to it. I would also buy the highest quality replacment gaskets, maybe OEM Toyota. Good luck on the project, :cheers:

· Registered
6,545 Posts
The 1990 and newer 3.0 engine head gaskets are all under warranty. 89 and earlier had a short window for the warranty.

Toyota had a hard time with making asbestos free head gaskets in the late 80s and early 90s. Lots of engines have issues.

Depending on how long the head gasket(s) have been blown, the dealer will do anything from replace the gaskets to replace the whole engine if there is erosion between the cylinders from the gaskets leaking.

Put it back together and take it to the dealer.

· Registered
476 Posts
Buy a complete gasket set from Toyota. It will have everything from the head gaskets themselves to o-rings.
I've heard the v-6s are a pain to work on. I did a head gasket on a 22re and it was pretty easy.

· Registered
1,369 Posts
Even some of the recall repairs are under another recall. Turns out the first way they were fixing them made it worse so they had to recall all those back to fix them right. Unfortunately alot of people lost motors over it.

· Registered
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've tried the dealer.They are saying it was done and thats the end of it.Plus the campaign is over.I have 1 more angle I'm gonna try.I know a guy that used to have a Toyota dealership.I need to talk to him and see if he has any advice.
I've been looking through the links thst were provided to see what other info I can find.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.