IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
I've caught coho on a salmon fly while trolling, not using a fly rod which is something I don't do. But salmon flies behind a dodger or flasher work well. Some action helps, hence the dodger or flasher. If you want to use a fly rod, might have to find some coho working bait and then cast the fly to them. Or perhaps troll it, coho will hit something on our just below the surface at times. It's not at all unusual for coho to hit a lure or bait on the surface while just putting it out.
ron m

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mike, we have caught them for years on light poles in the wash of the motor. Anywhere from 5' to 40' back. No weight just a salmon fly. If they aren't on top we add 1-2 oz. inline weight. It's a blast when the fish are around. The above recommendation for dodger and flies work great too. Hope to see you out there.

·
Registered
14,693 Posts
They will eat a gum wrapper. Coho like eating flies

·
Registered
37,296 Posts
Look into tube flies on the fly fishing forum.

Fished close behind a dodger, 6 to 15 inches can be deadly. Add a chunk of herring as scent makes a big difference especially if there isn’t a feeding frenzy going on. Surface temperature dictates how deep to fish. Gotta get under or away from the warm river water if fishing out of the Columbia.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Seiku and Neah Bay anglers have been targeting them for years using flies skipped on the surface behind the boat.
yep used to catch them in the south sound same way hauling ass skipping them on the surface. I thought the skipper was nuts till we started catching them. We would skip flys and plastic glow shrimp at dawn and dusk.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Caught one on a clouser minnow while casting an 8 weight to rockfish feeding on the surface out of Newport. I suspect there were more of them in the area because there were rises reminiscent of trout feeding on the surface, unlike the rockfish which have lots of fins and tails sticking out of the water. What a surprise (and I already had my limit of coho so couldn't keep it)

They definitely associate with feeding rockfish at times, when fishing out of Port Hardy, we got into a feeding frenzy of birds, salmon and rockfish all feeding on a school of herring. Mixed bag of black rockfish, yellowtail rockfish, pinks and coho.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I work with a guy who is starting up a fly fishing guide service out of Pacific City later this year. He's been a fly fishing doryman for years and is taking the plunge full time - I'll reach out to him and see if he's up for sharing his contact info.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Mike -I have had success casting for them from the boat on a flyrod. I use a 7-8 wt rod with intermediate clear line. Although I think you can catch them on floating, sinking or intermediate just the same. I usually troll gear then stop the boat and start casting as soon as you hook up. Just the same as trolling for tuna! This works best when you are trolling into the wind as then the wind pushes you back to the fish. Any baitfish pattern will work but here are a couple of my favorites. These are tube flies, and I have caught everything from tuna to roosterfish on them.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The most common fly method from my understanding is "bucktailing." A google search will find a ton of information. The flies are called bucktails and all look like some form of a minnow. I am definitely going to try it this summer!

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Dogs,

The predicted coho run is too much for us to pass up, so we will be running ocean salmon trips this summer.

We have the gear, but not the knowledge, as we have never tried to get a Coho on a fly.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike C
Hey Mike there’s a guy up north off Vancouver Island that does that Scott a TV show I think it’s called West Coast sporting Journal fly fishing’s for call holes in king quite often you should be able to find them on YouTube maybe but good information good source for flies all that type of thing provided in the program shows you what he’s doing tells you why
Dogs,

The predicted coho run is too much for us to pass up, so we will be running ocean salmon trips this summer.

We have the gear, but not the knowledge, as we have never tried to get a Coho on a fly.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike C
Hey Mike there’s a guy with the TV show West Coast sporting journal I think is the name of it does a lot of fly fishing Coho in the salt off Vancouver island real good about the methods,techniques flies where to find fish get the equipment all that type of thing should be able to find him on YouTube probably

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mike,

I have been out fished by my Brother in Law using just a salmon fly on the downrigger with his fly rod. It doesn't work all the time though!

·
Registered
130 Posts
My brother has been tying flies to catch ocean Coho we have ran them behind dodgers and caught some never really tried them long enough to put much trust in them.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The old green and white "Flash Flies" tied with Polar Bear hair were very fine producers for Coho and Chinook

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I'd suggest having stripping basket(s) or bucket available, fly line and boat stuff make for some interesting tangles. Or just troll the fly, but what's the fun in that!

·
Registered
12,152 Posts
Mike -I have had success casting for them from the boat on a flyrod. I use a 7-8 wt rod with intermediate clear line. Although I think you can catch them on floating, sinking or intermediate just the same. I usually troll gear then stop the boat and start casting as soon as you hook up. Just the same as trolling for tuna! This works best when you are trolling into the wind as then the wind pushes you back to the fish. Any baitfish pattern will work but here are a couple of my favorites. These are tube flies, and I have caught everything from tuna to roosterfish on them.

View attachment 950277

Those will work GREAT. Especially if you put a little strip of Herring or Shad on the hook for flavor........I never claimed to be a purist.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I work with a guy who is starting up a fly fishing guide service out of Pacific City later this year. He's been a fly fishing doryman for years and is taking the plunge full time - I'll reach out to him and see if he's up for sharing his contact info.
A lot of great info here and great looking flies jokofish.

We usually bucktail, trolling the same speed you would with gear. The flies are anywhere from the prop wash back 100'. We find if it's a brighter day it's best to troll further from the boat and at least get the flies a few feet from the surface. It may not seem like much but there are many times silvers won't commit to the fly skipping on the surface.

Once you locate a good school of fish you can setup on a drift and cast upcurrent stripping the flies at a good speed. It's even more successful if your hooked up and someone else cast towards this fish. Many times there are other silvers looking to play.

I agree that silvers in the salt are super aggressive and willing to take almost anything but I believe they're are flies that work better.

Here are a few of the flies we've found to work well. The hollow fly on the bottom is our go to for bucktailing with the others working well for casting to located fish.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 49 Posts