IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to know if anyone has had consistent success using this as a setup. I know guys using a 360 with herring and mooching rig; but not sure if anyone has been trying Salmon fishing with a coon shrimp spinner setup with a 360. If so, do you troll fast like you do with the 3.5 spinners? Or at a slower speed?

Thx.

-J

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Just curious to know if anyone has had consistent success using this as a setup. I know guys using a 360 with herring and mooching rig; but not sure if anyone has been trying Salmon fishing with a coon shrimp spinner setup with a 360. If so, do you troll fast like you do with the 3.5 spinners? Or at a slower speed?

Thx.

-J
Try reading the Willamette Spring Chinook thread. (y)

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
1,798 Posts
Haven’t had a chance to try it much this spring, but all of the fall chinook and coho my son and I caught were on 3.5 spinners tied on mono, coonshrimp on top hook, behind ProTrolls.

Never really paid attention to speed. Focused on maintaining a good thump and line angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
I caught my first Springer of the season yesterday on that set up. I used a 20” bumper and 24” leader. I tried to make sure I had good quality shrimp. Good luck and tight lines!

·
Registered
931 Posts
AnaDraMoss rig is spot on. Note the wire that inserts in to tail. Not seeing an egg loop around the tail, but could use one. The wire works better.

I like easy 30# line leader versus wire.

Also prefer stretchy string vs rubber band.

I use Loonie Coonies and run them straight. I do not concern myself with a twirl.

Mex Hat 3.5 or brass spinner is go to blade. 16 0c lead, 25-30 FOW, focus on rod thump.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
AnaDraMoss rig is spot on. Note the wire that inserts in to tail. Not seeing an egg loop around the tail, but could use one. The wire works better.

I like easy 30# line leader versus wire.

Also prefer stretchy string vs rubber band.

I use Loonie Coonies and run them straight. I do not concern myself with a twirl.

Mex Hat 3.5 or brass spinner is go to blade. 16 0c lead, 25-30 FOW, focus on rod thump.
Note the Oregon Tackle bait wrap at the prawns gill plate.
Here a pic of a similar leader showing the wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
Nice looking rig AnnaDraMoss. Smooth, tight finish on the knots too. Love the flashy Bling Wing behind a 360.

That rig would back bounce or gently cast and plunk or jet dive without a flasher from an anchored boat and slay sockeye, chinook and steelhead in shallow water (25’ and less).

I’m lazier. I mean I haven’t learned and attempted Gary’s prawn approach yet, though he showed me years ago. Until then I’ve had luck just breaking off the coon shrimp tail and running two of the three hooks on a spinner treble up through it, or the single siwash hooked through the tail twice, bending it down on either end. This puts the most durable dorsal/back forward, into the current and keeps the overall profile streamlined too. This is very durable, maximizes action and often enhances opportunities.

No wire required keeps it more bouyant, not an issue for trolling; anchored in slow water at tide change fished clean? More so.

CW

·
Registered
878 Posts
My late friend paul showed me that trick with the wire....man he sure knew how to fish a prawn spinner. I miss that guy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts