IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's late, but, anybody finding any Shad around the Fishery? Coming up Thursday night and if there is a chance for fresh Peeler bait, I will give it a try early Friday morning.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hey speaking of shad, I've got a questions;

Do all shad die after they spawn (like salmon)? Obviously some do, from the looks of all the floaters, but do all of them die?

Have always been curious about that...

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
yes, I believe they all do die, as a general rule. I've always wondered where they all go. It's not like you see 3 million dead ones float by. They must just sink to the bottom mostly. so much food for all the fish, a real shad buffet down there.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I cought a run-back Shad last year down at Buoy 10. I let my last hook on my mooching rig just hang free at the tail of my herring and the shad was hooked on that single nickle 5/0 hook - and that's no lie!

STGR - I like that first article where it says the American shad is "the most delicious to eat of all the shads" YUCKY!

[ 07-31-2003, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Killertraylor ]

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,377 Posts
They are spending MILLIONS of dollars to retore American shad on the east coast. And smoked and canned it is yummy. :smile:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
"The anadromous American shad is indigenous to the Atlantic coast from the St. Lawrence River to Florida...."

"A female lays up to 600,000 eggs, while several hovering males fertilize them." "The young of the year remain in fresh to brackish water, feeding on copepods and insect larvae until early fall before entering the sea."

So we get a million non-native shad, laying 600,000 eggs a piece, to produce a juvenile that compete for food with salmon & steelhead?

I like catcing them and they make great sturgeon bait, but still kind of makes me think.

Hmmm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts