IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are thinking of going to OC shad fishing this saturday and were wondering if anyone is still getting a few in OC or any where else.
Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Yes, lots of shad in the river. Bulk of the run is on its way....shad seem to be the only thing I can manage to catch these days :depressed:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
We caught a few around Coon Island yesterday afternoon. Saw several caught while we were there, also. I caught my first shad ever and it was a kick! :dance:

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Spent a couple of hours at OC last night, we caught 4 or 5 and missed at least that many. Silver/chartreuse or plain silver seemed to work better than anything else we had.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
OC is going to be chuck full of shad from now till the 4th of July

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ifishsum, if you only caught 4 or 5 in two hours, next time MOVE. I have had the best luck in fast current. Make sure youre staying on the bottom. Save your money and pick up a few packs of chartruese mini grubs. I catch 5 to 1 over the Dick Nites when I use the grubs.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much weight do you guys usually use? We have been told to back bounce to get the best results and there seems to be a lot of current all over.
Do we need to maintain contact with the bottom and keep or just drift it back? Let it stay out on bottom or reel in and redo the back bounce?
Thanks Ron

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Fish-n-Fever, I stay as close to the bottom as I can. We were using 6 ounces of lead earlier this week. We were in some good current and needed the 6 oz. to stay on the bottom. 75% of the time when I would drop my line in, as soon as I back bounced 2 or 3 times, then gave the reel 1/2 to one crank, boom fish on. I literally couldnt keep up with the bites on three poles, but only if I stayed on the bottom.

[ 05-22-2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: TundraIII ]

·
Registered
894 Posts
Oh, there are more than a few in the river. I have the lamest boat out there (14 ft Valco)
The worst anchor system, probably the least amount of knowledge (I''ve only fished for shad 5-6 times) and the cheapest lure (I'll explain), yet the last three times out have outfished everyone around at least 5 fish to one. I was in the
valco just down from the mouth of the clack in mid channel with the two young boys and another adult.
We slaughtered them as usual using a polished brass swivel with a number 6 siwash hook. People ask and dont believe but it is true. Outfishes everything (at least when I'm there) Wonder if that resembles something they like :smile:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Yep, I have to agree with you on this one. The brass swivel and siwash hook in silver work wonders. I have been using this for years and it usually does out produce anything else. :cheers:

G

·
Originally posted by TundraIII:
Ifishsum, if you only caught 4 or 5 in two hours, next time MOVE. I have had the best luck in fast current. Make sure youre staying on the bottom. Save your money and pick up a few packs of chartruese mini grubs. I catch 5 to 1 over the Dick Nites when I use the grubs.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">:shocked: :grin:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Can you give the specifics of your rigging? leader and lead line lengths, line test, slider or not, etc.

I tried the silver siwash with brass swivel using the sizes recommended on a previous thread (swivel - 5, gamagatsu 6 - as I recall). I was using a 20" leader and a 12" lead line. Both 6 lb test. Not much happened :shrug:

Thanks a bunch.

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
The lead line I normally prefer is around 24-30". Other than that, everything sounds alright. I firmly believe the real "trick" to shad is location. I've used everything, bare hooks, dick nites, grubs/jigs, yarn and hook, you name it. It always comes down to location. If your in "the seam" (the part of the river they are using to move upstream) you'll catch fish no matter what you put down there due to the shear numbers of fish. Clearly, as long as it's small and has a hook it will work. It's the same old story everytime. "The guys next to us were just killin 'em, and no matter what we tried we couldn't get nothin'." Chances are both boats were using close to the same thing, it's just that one was in the spot and the other wasn't. Sometimes I'll move 8-10 times before I get into the fish. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Another fun way to catch em' is to use a hot n tot to get your lure down. That way you're not tied to heavy lead and can get more of the fight out of them. I like to use a 6 weight fly rod and just have a blast. :grin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts