IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I picked up a couple steelies a week ago near Agness. I haven't been out here yet (Grants Pass). The water is warm (68 degrees today at the filtration plant - down from 70). There should be a few showing here, but I would stay as lower if possible. I wil be heading to Marial next week and give it a try down there.

RF

·
Registered
143 Posts
Haven't seen a steelhead down low for 5 or 6 days. The bay has been good if you time it right, I got one today and two on Wednesday.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Took a friend and his out-of-town high school buddy on the float from Dodge bridge to TouVelle on Sunday (20th) for a combo salmon/steelhead trip. Hooked two salmon and 3 steelhead. Landed 1 salmon and 2 steelies. Salmon was #26 and both steelies were about #6.
Went back out today below TouVelle park with my dad and his friend. Hooked 4 springers (landed 3) and a jack. All between #21 and #24.

My dad usually likes to whine that the steelhead are too small here compared to the 12-18 pound winter fish he used to catch in western Washington. After duking it out with a ticked off #24 springer, he wasn't whining anymore, just rubbing the cramps out of his arms!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Talked to one guide at Gold Beach this week. He said a huge bunch of fish 'Chinooks' were in the middle/upper river. They weren't spring or fall salmon...just a big bunch of middle of the summer chinooks.

We fished the bay all week. Fishing was pretty darn good. We got a couple fish or more each day. But......and this is a BIG BUT....the wind screamed morning til evening, every stinkin' day. No relief, merciless, brutal, trollin' sideways, landin' fish against the rocks, stinkin' I can't believe we are not in a hurricane wind!!!~

Dude...I hate the wind on the Rogue.

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
Gonna be down on the Rogue this weekend. Any suggestions on where to bank it for some steelies or salmon? What are they hitting? We'll be staying at the Valley of the Rogue State Park. Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance....

-jokester

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Sorry I didn't notice this post until now. I haven't been fishing because I'm getting ready to host a Pastor's conference this week. After that's over look out. I'll be out here.

Reports I've heard have fall chinook already in the middle river near Galice. There should be early summer steelhead in the upper river..best probably from Shady Cove down to Dodge Bridge or nearby. Steelhead fishing near Agness ought to be picking up pretty good. It's an early and late show if you're fly fishing (or get an overcast day)

This is traditionally the "dead" time on the middle Rogue. This is not to say there are no fish to catch...but it will get better in 2-3 weeks. I usally start doing well fly fishing for fall steelhead in September through early November.

I have one down river (Wild and Scenic) three day trip planned for late October

[ 07-27-2003, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Grantspastor ]

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the feedback I-fishers! Its nice to see that I can get some replies now to my questions....guess I've "earned my stripes" :shrug:

:smile:
HC

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
TTT

See my post above. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Jokester...the upper river (from Touvelle Park up to the hatchery) should hold summer steelhead. There is pretty good bank access above Rogue Elk Park. I think it will pretty much be an early and late show, when the sun is off the water. If you want to fish fall chinook, I think I would recommend the mouth of Galice Creek

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
Thanks for the info GP. I'll try to sneak over there and catch a few!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts