IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been invited to fish a guys property tomorrow morning...in exchange, he wants to watch me fly fish...weird, I know...but I might get a fish or two out of the deal!! Curious if the shougal fish still have lock jaw.

Any reports...I can't wait to show up in my new shirt! Way to go GBS!!

[ 09-30-2003, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Fisherfield ]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Fisherfield,
I don't think I would turn my back on the guy..... :shocked: :wink:

Good Luck though! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I still haven't been out yet with a rod in my hand so I don't have a 'reel' report. Given the water depth/clarity, I personally have been considering busting out the 6/7 weight witha 10' leader and a glowbug. If I do it, i am going to juice it up good with shrimp/anise scent (since I am non-purist flyfisher :tongue: :wink: )

My thinking is that I could easily drift that in 2-4 feet of water without spooking fish or hangin up on the bottom. Let me know how it goes if you try it. :wink:

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
wait for the next rain and fish the pocket water for steelhead. with the salmon in the river the steelhead ( if there are any) will be in the shallows and you can bring them up with a muddler..

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm still alive!! Now the Story~

I showed up at the guys house at 6am and his dad came to the door...an 82year old man was yelling at me asking what I wanted...then Scott comes to the door and says that it's o.k. that I'm there. Scott is a guy that I've known for some time through work and I wasn't worried about anything really weird...GBS, Steelie Steve, Wet Willy..Shame on you!
:hoboy:
So, we hike down this trail..descending 400 feet to the river. He's been building this trail for 4 years and is a pretty nice one. We finally hit the water and I see cars flying by on the other side of the river.

I ask Scott, "what road is that"...
Washougal River rd he replies.
"What mile marker approx??"
Oh, that's the small pull off at mile 3.

I just about died.....I could have saved some serious energy and fished the other side of the river...walked across about 10 rocks and been on his property!! Needless to say, this wasn't uncharted territory and I felt a little disapointed to be honest.

A few minutes after I decide where I'm going to start, I see a half dozen fish ripping through the rapids just up river from me. Missed them by about 5 minutes maybe. I fished the area anyway and managed to catch a few trees and that's about it. I was on limited time to fish anyway and had a 20 minute hike ahead of me to get out of there...total time fishing...one hour and 15 minutes!

But, it was an awesome morning and there were no other fisher people on the river...I don't know if Scott really learned anything. I tried to display the basics...and how to catch the trees of course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts