IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yah, so, I lost a rod and reel on the Siletz this last weekend, and I'm pretty sure I know where it is. It's just, the water is deep enough I can't see the bottom, and I think it goes under some rock outcroppings, so I'm not all that comfortable jumping in there myself.
Well, I have a proposal for you. If you're free either Saturday or Sunday, and would like to make some money and/or do some fishing, I'd REALLY appreciate some assistance in this matter. Please get back to me before this weekend.
Thanks!

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
sparkleboy,
I dive, but I'm elk hunting this weekend. How much clearity is the water, the approx. depth and how much current.
Is there safe shore access very close to the area where you lost it. Hope you find it, that's a real bummer.
good luck,
GBS

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd say the clarity of the water is probably 15 feet, then it starts to get really green. I think the rod is in a long, narrow channel that is from 10 to 30 feet deep. The channel is probably 100 yards long at most. There is somewhat of a strong current at the head of the channel, and hardly none at the end of the channel. There are a number of areas of safe shore access along this narrow channel.

[ 09-23-2003, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: sparkleboy ]

·
Registered
448 Posts
I may be wrong but it seems that there is a good chance that there is a lot of current going into but not in the middle than it is pretty likely that it is pretty fast down deep unless its quite aways from the incoming current. I bet there would be some weird eddies with the rocks too. It sounds like a hairy but fun one. I'd buddy dive there. Good luck!!

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Sounds like a dangerous dive to me, if somebody take this on be cautious. I have wanted to river dive ,but even with clear water and summer flows I am not just jumping in the deep end. Getting pinned on something, or caught in 50# test doesn't intrigue me.

gus - I will stick with Manta Dives for now!

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
I'm with you gus, my instincts tell me also to be very wary. The dangerous prospect of getting snagged on some heavy mono could be real, or a rusty hook in your leg. Whoever does this should be confortable and experienced i nthis kind of dive, and the buddy system is a must.
Be safe down there.
GBS

G

·
Always carry a sharp serated knife when diving.

I grew up diving in rivers, mostly free diving, and don't feel it's any more of a danger than diving in general. Stay away from the upstream side of large bolders and be aware and ready for rapids. The curent is less right on the bottom.

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Knives, got to have your knife with you. Up 'til know I have only had to use it for defense against agressive starfish, stampeding conch and tormenting jelly fish, and I hope to keep it that way....

Panic under water is a bad bad thing. Diving a wreck I got my safe second hung up, my buddy had the light (duh) and I had to stop only for a second to get disconnected but when I glanced back to the group...they were gone and it got black fast.... I had gotten a glimse of a ladder before I looked back, and reached out and found it. Once I looked up the stair case I saw the lights of the other divers on the floor above me, ...explained how they all vanished so quickly. In that split second I remembered I had enough time to wait and gather my thoughts, I had a small light in my diving computer that might help me.

I know I don't have the skills yet to dive fast water, the rescue guys on the columbia and willamette are gods in my opinion and take a huge risk to recover bodies. I want to dive the wilson around Kansas creek some time, but even so would want a buddy and preferable somebody that has done it before. I think I would rather approach a hole from below first until I got the feeling of the current. Doing this you would suck up a lot of your air swimming, but would be safer.

Any scary dive stories out there?

gus

G

·
Like having a killer whale swim over you when you are 90' down?

Gus,
Panic is a bad thing.
Try free diving in the Wilson, easier to pack your gear to the water.

[ 09-24-2003, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Keta ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts