IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right guys my little sister is going to be in town Friday and was wondering if I could get her into a Gator to take home. She's not a big Salmon lover {not sure if she really my sister}I'm going to launch at the John day ramp. What's been the best bait? are you guys fishing up river from the john day I'm not looking for all your secret's just a little help?
Thanks Rod

·
Registered
323 Posts
Eddie, The fishing in Astoria is great right know if you don't mind working a little. On the outgoing tide fish up river fron Tounge Point towards marker 3. We catch fish between 2 and 12ft of water in that area. Find a slot that changes depth of around 2ft and if you don't have a bite in an hour MOVE. On the incoming fish behind tounge point In deeper water you will see all the boats in the general area.

We have been catching alot of fish away from the crowds just be working the slots. As far as bait goes we use smelt 90% of the time. Sand shimp are great but I get tired of the Bullheads.

Good luke and I hope this helps you burn those thumbs.

Tight Lines
Rich

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
FE,
I did well fishing 20' near tonque point about 3 hours before low slack, then moved around. Don't waste much time in one spot. They are aggressive biters and if they are there, they are there. They will move off the flats into deeper water when the timing is right, so look to find them as they move around. I never did find the fish in the flat slots but they can be very good. Just be careful and move around slowly, there can be some super shallow water up there. I'd also look in 60' at the end of outgoing and the beginning of incoming. Was the ticket sunday for us. Smelt with SJ anchovy scent was the ticket, or anchovies. Also helps to use salmon gear with spiderwire, you really feel the bites, and the fight is awesome. They sure peel line down there, even sub-legals.
good luck, and enjoy!
GBS

[ 06-03-2003, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Ha ha ha ha....he he he oh man that was funny David. :laugh: :laugh: :grin: :grin:
:bowdown:

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Should we give you the BATON right now there Rod? :tongue:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really want to thank you guys for your input
that gives me some more to go on. I've always done really well in the deep water on the out going. The incoming I don't do so well at TP.
As for the other clowns on this topic
I'm glad you both have real jobs, ok maybe one of you have a real job :shrug: By the way David I saw your truck at the ramp almost put another note on the windshield :laugh: Bernie as for you your luck as we say it, the worm is turned. Just because of of some freak mess up in whole cosmic universe :shrug: and you had been able to catch more Salmon then I.I would say things are getting back to normal. Thank the Lord there is really no cosmic universe thing happening but it was the Lord blessing you with a great springer season :shocked: :wink:

·
Registered
38 Posts
FE
I'm new to this fisherie myself but I will tell you what has worked for me. I launch at John Day also. I run out the the mouth of the John Day River. On the point to the west there is a marker. To the south-east there are some rocks, line up on this, drop anchor in 45 50 ft. of water. It will drop off ultimately to 140 ft. in front of the west marker. We use anchovie and smelt. I ues shrimp oil my father-in-law does not. We do about the same. It seems to be best when the water is running out real well. We have been down ther 5 times this year (for the
first time)the 3rd & 4th the latest, limited every time. The biggest 47, no pigs. Several shorts ,loads of fun. Good luck and hope your sister gets one, you too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts