IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Trust me, the snaggers on the Kalama will get nailed eventually. Theyll wait for a weekend when the fish are thick and make some serious coin from all the tickets theyll write. At a hole my buddy frequents, a gamie walked up (know each other by name) gamie says "i wanna see that line movin", "huh" my friend says, gamie says "line better be movin or ill ticket ya", "okay". New batch of fishers show up, snag snag, gamies watching the whole thing. He starts on the end and write a dozen or so tickets for snagging. This was even after my friend warned the new guys that the gamie may be near and that the lines gotta be movin. The typical response was ssshhh, whatever.

·
Registered
22,377 Posts
What's wrong with snagging a hatchery fish for Pete's sake. They are ment to be harvested by anglers and netters. :wink: Just got to love the holier than thou attitudes out there of some sport fishers. :rolleyes: Barbless hooks, 10# line....get real folks. Certainly there are bigger issues than some stupp dragging trebble hooks around. :shrug:

So ya think snagging is ugly aye? I think what is worse is the wasted fish at the hatcheries that you and I pay for. That is the real crime darn it.
I am not going to advocate snagging but when hatcheries have more than they can process let the left overs be carnaged.

For those of you that put bedsprings and barbed wire in our rivers I offer this to you
That really stinks and is irresponsible.

If you're gonna make a rule you better figure out how to inforce it otherwise it ain't a rule. Kinda like the speed limit. How many of you actually obey 55, 65, 70mph postings? Just what I thought....NONE of you (me too). Nice to preach the law but do ya practice it? Really practice it?

There are some laws that are just plain dumb out there. So when it says hooked in the mouth does that really mean the eyeball? If it is posted 55mph is it okay to do 65mph? Pass another bond to enforce another law and raise taxes again? No way!!!

So what to do? Best thing I have seen is when a fish is snagged and you are concerned about it just shout it out that the fish is snagged so everyone knows it. Most likely the perp will return the fish to the water. If not then he has been branded for the day.

This said I think I'll grab my Kenai Killer with 40lb test and 30# leader and head to the river to snag dinner.

Is this for real. Will the pies start flying? Am I really serious here? Maybe just tired of a tired subject? Ramble, ramble, tongue in cheek ramble, ramble........ect....

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
C&E said it. All ya gotta do is say something usually. When someone snags a fish I'm always saying stuff like "Too bad, that one's in the fin." or "Ya sure snagged that one good, right in the fin, I'd just break it off it's not worth your time." Or just head over there to help them out with landing it. "Here, let me help, I'll even take the hook out for ya'" You make the release your set. Very few snaggers will say, "Sure you take the hook out of his fin and I'll bonk it." Maybe the guys that everyone is talking about just don't care if anyone is around, but in my experience, just your presence will be enough to deter them from snagging in that area.

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Catch and Eat... here is why.. because it doesn't stop there!!!!

The Washougal used to have a legal snag fishery right at the hatchery for excess salmon. When that water filled up with people they spilled over to other areas of the river and now are prevelant on every salmon river in Oregon and Washington.. Thats whats wrong with condoning such activity. Snagging even excess hatchery fish is destructive to the sport and destructive to everyone who just wants an enjoyable day on the river.. ONLT greedy people snag. if a fish won't strike then leave them the hell alone.
Also it doesn't just happen to hatchery fish take the Satsop river Chum salmon. This is a very sever snag fishery on a wild stock of fish. Many fish getting snagged several times a day. One day i saw the same chinook get snagged no less than 4 times. I could tell it was the same fish when it jumped. This is a river where the run os so poor it is illegal to keep chinook!!!!
Snagging is
1. illegal
2 unethical
3 morally uncontionable
it is bad any anyone who does it is bad... ANYONE!!!

it's as simple as this Only ******** snag.therefore anyone who snags is a *******! The act of snagging makes you one.

·
Registered
22,377 Posts
So Rob I suppose that lining a sockeye is something that would label me as a ******* then right. Boy I feel pretty low. :wink: I agree with the senario of intentionally snagging native stocks that are depleted in certain river systems. However fish like sockeye are not necessarily biters for the most part. Therefore lining the fish I have no problem with. That goes for coho as well. Hey, if it is in the mouth it is in the mouth. No problem with that at all.

Ripping the water intentionally is another thing. Had a nice little hole to myself on the wind last year. Snagger with an ounce of lead and big corkie hones in....rippppppppppee the water. No biting fish after that jerk came in.

If a hatchery wants to thin out excess fish by allowing snagging of fish so be it. The fish are gonna die shortly anyways. But when it spills over to the main river then that pretty much sucks.

Pretty strong with the ******* stuff. :rolleyes: You are entitled to Your opinion. Like I said though, the best way is to make others aware that a fish is snagged. Help unhook it and continue to fish. Enjoy the sport and the company if you can. Letting stuff bug ya like this ensures your fishing trips will suck every time. It's just fishing. Be creative in how ya handle this stuff. It will be much more enjoyable. Kinda like this web site. What is said is not always what is ment. Right? :wink:

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Catch and eat

It is impossible to emphasize enough how stronglt I feel about snagging. It destroys the salmon fishing experience. If a person can be around it and enjoy it then they have a stronger stomach than I do. Also Coho are good biters if given the opportunity!! I don't know about sockeye though there aren't any around here.
Also if a hatchery fish won't bite whats the point in raising them???
wel blah blah blah I could go on for hours and still not accutatly display my anger and disgust towards these people so i'll stop now...

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I was talking to a person the other day about the washougal who is part of the enforcement and he said that the washougal is not managed for sport. It is strictly managed for commercial, well for that matter arn't they all. Well crap might as well shut them all down because of the snagging. that will solve the problem... Or will it. Nope they will do it any ways. No matter what your feelings on this subject, the more it bothers you the faster it will kill you and the bigger your ulcer will be. Might as well buy stock in tumms or milanta, because it will never stop untill we teach the younger kids how to do it right, because that is where it starts. The days i have been down on the river, it has been the kids, smart mouthed and they do not care.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
People who don't like snagging are just angry at the world because they have no fish in the freezer or pictures holding fish. :laugh: :wink: :grin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Point#1 snagging puts the fish off the bite, if your fishing legal and enjoy the challange of having fish bite (fishing) then snaggers are causing a problem that has nothing to due with hatchery surplus. Snagging is not fishing, if you let it go on it will get worse, and fishing will suffer.

Point#2 excess hatchery salmon will become the means to re-feed our rivers and streams that have been depleated of marine derived nutrients over the next few years. Carcass placement will help us revive our ailing wild stocks. :smile:

Point #3 Get involved in helping wild salmon and steelhead survive, why? So you might have a small chance that you can continue to fish until you die, and maybe your kids will be able to do so also. Join a organization devoted to saving fish and fishing.
My 2 cents
FishDoctor

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Mr. Carp - Or maybe not so much.

It is about respect for the fish, whether they are hatchery or native.

To me, snagging fish takes the same mentality as slucing geese, jacklighting deer, or killing any game out of season. It cheapens the sport, the individual and the game they kill.

[ 09-09-2003, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
13 Posts
How about if the TV crews get on a story about snagging and it airs all over the US? Then the public perception about salmon fishers is "SNAGGERS". Well, then we can all look like Crap to them.

I think the support for fish recovery would drop to ZERO, and you can forget about the future of fishing for fresh water salmon in the PNW.

[ 09-09-2003, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: FishDoctor ]

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Point #1: I never said anything about me being a snagger.

Point #2: FishDoctor, you might be careful with your inflammatory remarks towards me. That is a violation of the AUP and it could have offended me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mr. Carp,
Did I say you are a snagger? I perceived you are in favor of legal snagging, is that correct? Snagging has a major image problem, it does not help the public perception of what fishing is and what is means to many of us.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I am amazed at times how many people still confuse sport fishing with sport harvesting. Lets try a different comparison. :rolleyes:

When I go hunting for wild rabbit it is considered a sport, if I shoot a rabbit or not I enjoy the hunt as well as the view. If I am more skillful or lucky I bag the rabbit, if the rabbit is more skillful or lucky it gets away to continue its life and be part of the ecology… That’s the sport, my skill versus the rabbits.

What if I raised rabbits just for me to shoot and they are not part of the ecosystem. They are just there to hunt and if I don’t shoot them they may get to live another day but eventually someone else will shoot them… Is that still just as sporting?

What if the person is not as skilful as I am but want to kill a rabbit so we have a amateur hunter day and hold the rabbits in cages for release in a small area to make the “hunting” easier for the less skilled to shoot a contained rabbit… still sporting?

What if we have a mother daughter slaughter hunt for rabbits and leave the animals in the cage making it easy for an 11 year old girl to kill her first rabbit, a rabbit that was commercially raised just to be blown away at close range by a 12 gauge having never lived in the wild… not very sporting huh?

What if someone had no skill at all and disliked guns but likes the idea of getting a bunch of rabbits. If they used a machine to collect, kill and process at the touch of a button many rabbits… would they be sportsmen or gill-netters?

What is left of the sporting ideal?

At what point down this slippery slope does the general public view both the rabbit hunters or the sport fishermen as bloodthirsty killers? :depressed:

If you can not see the difference between harvest and sport you have allowed greed to become what drives your desire. You may have become a *******, for you I am sorry…
:depressed:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
FishDoctor, No harm no foul. :smile: It is I who should be careful of what I say. I was actually being sarcastic about the inflammatory comment and it didn't offend me at all. It was kind of a comment directed towards me because I am the one usually violating the AUP. :grin: I am just kind of being a smart "rear-end" on this post. I realize that some take the issue of snagging very seriously and I should not laugh at them for feeling that way.

Generally, what cracks me up about this issue is that most people who type that they oppose snagging will go do it themselves when they are on the river. Kind of a "two-faced" fisherperson. That is why I don't get worked up about it.

For me, I don't consider snagging such a big deal as most, but don't practice it myself. I know people that do and it doesn't bother me that they do it. I know it may anger some, but I look at it sometimes like we are alotted so many fish per day. What does it matter how they are hooked as long as they are going home to feed a family? If we weren't supposed to catch those fish, then they wouldn't have a daily limit for us to catch. This is just how I feel about the situation.

·
Registered
46 Posts
:whazzup: I am having trouble understanding why this subject seems so sensitive to sports fishermen...
The netting and snagging that takes place with the Native Americans :mad: and the "commercial boys" doing their thing with nets, seines, etc. :mad: makes the issue of a few motely sports-fishermen snagging a "mute issue!! Let's prioritize what is diminishing the numbers of salmon before we start throwing stones at our fellow sports-fishermen (as sinful as they are in taking fish in this un-sportsman like way)! :shrug: This is an issue for the Fish & Game. One will always find unsportsman conduct in any sport.

[ 09-09-2003, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Weeler Dealer ]

21 - 40 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.