IFish.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The kid and I got our Rino 520 HCX s yesterday.

Ive never used anything like GPS before. Let alone these units.

Just wondering if you have any tips to help shorten the learning curve.
I'm mainly wanting to get geared up to use them for hunting in a couple weeks.And will expand from there.

Are there any good maps that show logging roads etc.If so is there a good place to buy them.or would anybody be willing to share?

What are must have accessories?

Any advice in general would be appreciated.

Thanks,
HntnFsh

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
We just got the cases to protect the screens, and the auxillary battery packs that run alkaline batteries. I'm more comfortable with the kids out in the woods with a back-up battery pack in case their primary runs dry. We also got the earbuds with the PTT mikes, although I am pretty disappointed with the audio quality from the ear bud.

·
Registered
17,793 Posts
If you have never used a GPS start by reading the manual and going to the park and trying out the various features like creating a way point and navigating to a way point - than graduate to other features likes tracks and paging other RINO users locations

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys.

Anybody else?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have the Rino and pretty well have it mastered. YOu can go to Tigergps.com and they have all the mapping info for upload. You can then upload the area you are going to hunt. I personally don't like the ear bud as it blocks your hearing in the one ear. I use the headset with the boom mic instead. I then wear that with the ear piece by my ear and put the radio on vibrate mode so if some one has something to say I can feel that and then put the ear piece over my ear for reception. I think the biggest advice I can give you is just start pushing buttons! Figure out what every menu item is. Cycle through the pages use your joystick to highlight the menus for each page and see what options are available. This can be found in the top right corner of each menu page. IE for the page with the map click on it use your joystick to highlight the button in the top right corner, it will then give you options like pan map. Highlight pan map, this allows you to scroll over your area, check distance from where you are to what ever you are looking at. There are alot of things to use on these rinos, so if you need some more specific info PM me and I will guide you through it. Good luck
Tailwalker out

Thanks for the help guys.

Anybody else?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts