IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ran into any numbers of chums on the miami or the kilchis yet? Jennie I thought you caught one? I got two on the miami by accident in the lower section by the 101 bridge but has anyone done any good on them? :shrug:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Are they any good for anything? Eggs?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">In Oregon you cannot keep them.

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
You can keep them in Washington and if you get a nice hen keep the fish. The eggs work really great. You may want to reference my springer reports from last year as proof positive.

As far as table fare. Nope. You can smoke them using a wet brine for a few hours and dry them over night. Smoke for 6 to 8 hours, remove to the kitchen and honey glaze and place in oven 325 for 1 hour. That will firm the meat and it tastes pretty decent. Hint: makes good christmas gifts to folks ya don't know very well. :grin: Actually, they are great for making smoke salmon dip.

If you are adventuresome (which I am not) the eggs make decent caviar. MMMMMMMmmmmmm mmmmm...

·
Registered
236 Posts
C&E you have been watching me, I send a smoked one to my boss every Xmas, My company is in VA beach and they dont know any better....DJ

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You guys are too funny!!! I have to admit I've smoked them before too. When you ain't got nothing else because you are droughted I guess they'll do. Fortunately its probably been over 10 years since I tried!

·
Registered
993 Posts
When these fish turn color they are one of the most beautiful fish. The way they match the fall colors is just spectacular, I'd like to thank ODFW for not letting them be kept. Chum seem to be a diregarded salmon and are truly endangered.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Originally posted by CATCH AND EAT:
The eggs work really great.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">You using single eggs for springers? The first Chum I ever caught (and last I ever kept) was a nice shiny bright hen (Kilchis, many, many moons ago). Slit her open to gut her and take the skeins out and the eggs all rolled out, down the bank and into the river. Looked like a dang marble stampede! :shocked:
I've never seen Chum eggs in a skein. :shrug:

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
If they are bright, they aren't bad. We smoked them by the campfire in AK "Indian Style" on forked sticks. They were good that way.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Hey Miss B. By "bright" people mean bright silver for the good eggs, not bright red or purple :wink: :tongue:

The "first nations people" out of Hoodsport sure don't have a problem finding the fish with skeins still intact. :depressed:

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Bounty hunter is correct. I give the fish a little LOVE squeeze to see if she will loose a few marbles. No marbles no problem. The water there is salt and the fish are usually pretty fresh. The eggs cure up pretty great and are excellent for springers.

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
I have seen a couple so far. Not many. Maybe tomorrow. They always show up on Halloween, I hear. :smile:

Jen

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I went up to a river just above hoodsport a couple years ago and caught some.The eggs were great there a real tight skein and cured up great.
Caught some steelhead on them too.Tried to fish Hoodsport but couldn't hardly fish cus of the indians gillnetting them.Took a bunch of pictures
of them throwing the bucks up on the beach and takeing only the hens.Some of my pictures were used in a lawsuit brought against them(indians)
I mean there was THOUSANDS of them on the beach.I've still got some of the pictures you wouldn't belive it if you never saw the waste. :depressed:
I've never been back.But the ones we did catch on that river was a blast they fought really really hard it was great fun. :dance:
Bob
I cooked up a couple and was not impressd with the taste and yes they were good bright fish.So I smoked up the other two and it was O.K. not great for sure.

[ 10-30-2003, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: dawhunt ]

·
Registered
136 Posts
Bob is right,

I was diving up in Hoodsport last year when the chum were in. They were everywhere and so were the carcasses littering the bottom of the sound up there with the bellies of all the hens cut open so they eggs could be taken. It was a sad sight seeing all the bright fish just wasted. Some locals were nice enough to give me some eggs to cure and they did work very well.

·
Registered
440 Posts
chums have some of the best eggs imho. they are larger and paler than the other species and have a really thick skein. here fishy fishy fishy!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was up in the Seattle area last weekend and the chums are in the Skykomish and staging at the mouth of the Wallace River. We didn't catch any, but saw many jumping and one guy had one on the bank. Did pretty good on them last year. They are awesome fighters that don't know the meaning of quit!

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts