IFish.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. I really want to go antelope hunting. The success stories and photos so far this year have really got me excited about antelope. I got 9 Pref. points going into next year.

I have friends who can get me into antelope in the Steens and the Warner unit. Currently, I have been putting in for Steens every year. I don't have a honey hole or private property lined out but I do plan on hiking a lot to get away from the road hunters and hopefully finding some secluded antelope herds?

Question #1: Should I just wait till I draw the Steens tag ?(maybe with 10pts. more than likely with 11)...............another 2-3 year wait.

Question #3: What do you all think about applying for a late season antelope tag? Ex. Whitehorse #2 or Warner #2? Anyone have some experience with a Hunt #2 antelope tag?

Pros: Closer to the antelope rut(bigger bucks may be with the does), may draw the tag with 9 points most likely with 10 pts.(don't have to wait as long), I am an archery deer and elk hunter(season will have started and I could make it a combo hunt), with archery hunters in the field, they may spook antelope my direction?, I may be able to talk with archery hunter and they may tell me where they saw a big antelope.

Cons: Big bucks with all the does means more eyes looking at you rather than finding a solo buck to stalk, More people in the woods because archery season would begin, antelope on higher alert and spooked from the 1st hunt(certain areas),

I am sure that I have thought of other pros and cons that I just can't think of right now. Please give me feedback on your advice, thoughts, pros, cons, etc..............especially from you antelope hunters who have already been there done that.

I plan to bowhunt for antelope after I use up my rifle points. I can't wait another 10 plus years.

Thanking you all in advance, Wheels.

·
Registered
23,879 Posts
as many times as i have found antelope while deer/coyote/bird/shed hunting there is one unit that stands out above all the others. yes i have seen very large bucks in the beatys butte area, in the whitehorse near the top of the antelope canyon area, in the north steens we saw a herd of a couple hundred migrating east toward the alvord. in all the areas (if i had ten plus points) the juniper unit jumps right to the top of the pile. the year i deer hunted the unit i saw a couple dozen deer and thousands of antelope. from a vantage point one sunrise, i could see hundreds of antelope in every direction and a couple deer. the largest bucks where normally following the herds or alone. beside you might get to hear the wild burros braying.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Don't forget the Malheur #2 hunt, usually can draw with 8 or fewer points.
I have seen some large bucks come out of that hunt over the years.
Alot of private land, but most owners are cooperative when it comes to thinning antelope herds.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Baltzs is right Juniper unit I hunted it in 88 for Antelope took a nice buck Lots of lopes. Dont know how many pts to draw, but well worth the wait.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Juniper will take 11 or 12 points to draw. If you really want to draw next year you'll have to go with one of the 2nd season hunts, like you mentioned. I hunted E Beatys Butte muzzleloader last year and saw lots of good bucks. I also saw a huge antelope after all the other hunters had gone home, so not all the boomers get killed off each year. You could draw that hunt with 6 or 7 points.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Save up your fun tickets and put in for Wyoming!!!!!!! That's the only way I've been able to draw an antelope tag since moving to Idaho. Heck, it only took 4 years to draw a moose tag, never have pulled an Idaho pronghorn tag.:help:

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I wouldn't be scared to hunt Whitehorse number 2...From what I seen,they get pushed back off the roads and then no one bothers them..

Plenty of animals.:food:

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
If you really want to hunt them bad, definitely check into Wyoming. Public land hunts for multiple Antelope are as expensive as you want to make them. Apply, drive over and shoot. Probably just a little more expensive than hunting in Oregon.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Well Just got done cutting up our Goats, we hunted the Area around Hart Mountain, we had two tags, one was a 12+ old heavy horned buck the other was a younger 15 1/2 inch ivory tipped buck, we probably seen 6 to 8 hundred animals, the 12+ could have been upgraded but was a pretty animal. Get the tag and the animals will come, it is easier getting your goat than getting the tag, we waited the full 13+- years, all the point you could have we had, so for me to hunt again soon it will be by a rare chance and probably by going to Wyoming. Lots of Luck.................Ray

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys/gals for the advice so far............I have a while yet to think about it..................I certainly don't want to make a bad choice with 9 pts. when 10 or 11 points may get me first season in a prime area. My thoughts are no matter what tag I get, if I hunt hard and stay persistent, I would get rewarded. I am just really getting the itch to go Antelope hunting. Thanks again. Wheels.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I'd wait a couple more years if I were you, you’ve already waited this long.

Of course I'm not you, and it only occurred to me this year I might want to start saving points if I ever want to hunt antelope. So at age 35, I have all of one point.:crazy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts