IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, it seems like I'm missing out on the fun of the winter steelhead swap, so rather than moan about it, I might as well host another one!

I'd like to open this up to those folks that aren't tying for the other winter steelhead swap. First 12 people in (including myself). If we don't get 12 people, we'll open it up for those in the other swap that might want to join us, and then we'll close the swap on the evening of Sunday, November 27th. All flies must be tied and sent to me by December 15th. Regardless of how many people we get, we all tie a dozen flies. If we have leftovers, we can decide as a group what we should do with them. We'll be using the posted rules that can be found here . If you can't follow the guidelines, please don't join.

My spousal unit just found and bought for me an old fly tying book that is stuffed full of interesting steelhead patterns. I'll pick one of those and let you know what I'll be tying.

1. Mark Vickers - Hari Kari Bucktail - Flies Received :applause:
2. steel_beaver - Lifter - Flies Received :applause:
3. grsteelies - Purple egg sucking articulated leach - Flies Received :applause:
4. Salmonslayer2 - Flies Received :applause:
5. Mugs - Flies Received :applause:
6. derbyshc - Hanford Halloween Special - Flies Received :applause:
7. Chrome Mandinga - Dinga Beezwax Stonefly - Flies Received :applause:
8. O Tshawytcha - Blue moon - Flies Received :applause:
9. tyingfool - winter spey - Flies Received :applause:
10. Navigator - Pink Lady - Flies Received :applause:
11. steel_beaver - Flies Received :applause:
12. Meskel - Tequila Sunrise - Flies Received :applause:

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Another Winter Steelhead Swap

Okay, after looking through several books last night, I've decided to tie a Hari Kari Bucktail. It was a used book when I got it, and the previous owner had made scratch marks and notations next to the patterns that he had found successful. This one had a big check mark next to it.

· Registered
1,956 Posts

OK I'm tying one of the most productive "egg patterns" on the Alsea...(haven't tried it on other rivers)...a Lifter. In fact I have 12 ready to ship (I was busy last night :dance: :grin:). I also wouldn't mind coming in with a second fly if we don't get enough people... it will be one of my creations...kinda... :grin:

I'm gonna start tying the second set soon... I'll try posting pictures over the weekend

S_B :cheers:

P.S.

here are the pics:
This is an imitation of my favorite jig... :smash:

And this is the lifter...

· Registered
56 Posts

Let me introduce myself. I've lived in Oregon all of my 26 years. But I've recently moved to NY to go to school. However, I keep track of fishing at home partially through checking the boards on this site. I've been tying flies for twelve years, mostly for trout, shad, smallmouth, and steelhead. The past several years I've spent most of my time on Speys and Dees. Only in the past year a half have I've spent a lot of time on classic Atlantic salmon flies. Most of my fishing time has been spent on the Umpqua mainstem for shad and smallmouth and its north fork for steelhead. What I really want to spend time on now is trying to catch Chinook and coho on flies!! I find myself spending more time tying flies and reading about fishing than actually fishing. Oh well. Tying is still lots of fun!!

My submission looks like something left over from a Halloween party. I posted a photo of it under my username in the gallery. Enjoy. Here's the recipe:

Hanford Halloween Special
Hook: TMC 8089NP #10
Thread: Black 8/0 unwaxed
Bead: Spirit River Orange Hot Bead 5/32
Tail: Black Arctic fox tail with pink Krystal Flash
Body: Purple polar chenille
Wing: Orange Arctic fox body fur
Hackle: Chartreuse schlappen

· Registered
3,888 Posts

count me in.

I think I will tie a kaufmanns stone...but thats not in stone...I tied up a dozen last night, but they are almost too pretty to let go!

Anytime the LEGENDARY Tyer Sir Mark Vickers is in a swap...count me in!

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

O Tshawytcha, if you didn't live so far away, I'd swear you fished the Sandy a lot. I've found more blue moons on the rocks and in limbs on the Sandy than any other single type of fly.

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Another Winter Steelhead Swap - CLOSED

Okay, let's call this swap closed and start tying!

steel_beaver you're in for another set of flies. Meskel, you're in as well.

For those of you that haven't let me know what type of fly you'll be tying, post that soon so we know what everyone is tying. That way, we'll avoid duplicates.

I'll send out my mailing address to everyone. Remember to include a SASE with your flies so that I can send them back to you.

· Registered
640 Posts
Re: Another Winter Steelhead Swap - CLOSED

All right after having an epiphany over an early morning drink this past weekend, I have decided on a fly. Now it resembles in pattern, the blue moon, but if you all don’t object I would like to submit a dozen “Tequila Sunrise” as my contribution. It looks like fun to tie and I am in need of some exposure into marabou. Besides I couldn’t really come up with a coffee-nudge pattern.

I will also christen each fly with Tequila head cement and toast it with a shot. Who knows if I will stop at a dozen tonight? :passout:

Meskel

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.