IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What chokes can handle steel shot? I have a mossberg 500 turkey 12 gauge.

Registered
Usually Mod.to more of an open Choke imp .-cyl.etc .Most have lead only ,steel etc .stamps/engravings .Are you going to use steel for Turkey 馃槼馃

Registered
If your Mossberg has screw in chokes, it can shoot steel....although if it has a "Turkey" choke (Super tight constriction), it might not like steel. But anything from Full to Cyl should be fine.

Why use steel? Lead not legal where you wanna hunt?

Registered
If lead is not legal were you hunt then then I would go with some other non-toxic shot for turkey, like tungsten. Sure it鈥檚 expensive, but your don鈥檛 need a lot of rounds to bring down a turkey and you can only shoot a handful of them each year.
I can鈥檛 remember for sure but I think my full turkey choke on my 870 says it can take steel shot, but I鈥檝e never tried it. If you find a turkey choke that can handle steel I would definitely pattern it. Seems like that combo would have some blown out patterns.

Registered
Trulock precision hunter
SKU
PHWIN12705
Constriction Type
Improved Modified
Constriction
Price
  • $59.99

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Usually Mod.to more of an open Choke imp .-cyl.etc .Most have lead only ,steel etc .stamps/engravings .Are you going to use steel for Turkey 馃槼馃
One of the areas we hunt is requiring it

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. I am going to try tungsten. I will use a modified choke. I was not sure if tungsten is a legal replacement for steel. I am new to turkey hunting.

Registered
Steel works just fine for turkeys. I鈥榲e used #3鈥檚 to kill a couple Turks in the wildlife area. Yeah, other non-toxic would be most bestest, but it鈥檚 what I had on me when opportunity came knocking. Know the limitations and work within them.

Registered
1 1/4 oz steel #3 is about 191 pellets. 1 1/2 oz of lead #4 has about 202 pellets. At the range I would try to head shoot a turkey the steel #3 should be fine.

Reactions: ehunter
1 - 12 of 12 Posts