IFish.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got out of the hosptial with a 3+" cut in my belly muscle where they removed my appendix. it was hard enough in the hospital to up and out of bed using rails and all the adjustments to eject my big butt.

I was pretty scared to return home where the bed I have doesn't provide all those nice handles etc.. but at 5 days at the hosptial I was evicted ... and home I went.

My stomach had not been stretch out yet.. for 5 days I sat partiall upright and my legs elevated.. as soon as I laid down flat I knew I was in for a tough tough night of sleep.

Or was I..

I grabbed my controller and dropped my bed setting to very low.. this really dropped my rear and allowed me to nearly mimic the posture I got in the hosptial.. then day over day I have been increasing the pressure to get flat again.. and after 4 days home I got there last night.

My wife laments that she wishes we had the bed during the 3 pregnancies because the comfort issues she was having would have been solved with the Sleep number.

gus

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Glad to hear it's doing you good! :)

I have heard lots of good things about these beds but am still hesitant. My big issues are:
1.) Leaks. I can't help but think I'm sleeping on a big balloon. Especially after having so many nightmare problems with airmattresses!

2.) Kids and/or dog jumping on the bed and causing number 1. :laugh:

As an aside, what do you do if the power is out and you need to "change your number"? Do they have a manual inflator valve? :smirk:

Sorry, I guess I just need to break down and go try one. See if it will change my mind about getting one of the latex beds! :)

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
We just ordered one up on Friday. I can't wait until it gets here. We went ahead and ordered the adjustable platform, too. Gus, that would really have helped you out after surgery!
Anglingaddict, call up and get the info kit. It will address your worries about the kids/pets. Bottom line is with a 20 year warranty, you really can't go wrong. As for changing your number when the power goes out - that's a good question. The bed stays at it's last setting. Okay if you leave it where you need it, but if you pump it all the way up to make it all pretty when the bed is made, it could pose a problem, I suppose.

Then again, with a regular innerspring mattress, you can't change the setting at all...

·
Registered
824 Posts
1.) Leaks. I can't help but think I'm sleeping on a big balloon. Especially after having so many nightmare problems with airmattresses!

2.) Kids and/or dog jumping on the bed and causing number 1. :laugh:
5 years on ours and we have two dogs and a 4 year old niece that all love to rough-house on the bed (why is it that one of the least desirable places from our perspective is their favorite for activities like that?). No leaks so far.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
7 yrs. and still the best bed i ever owned. They will slowly lose pressure over time, so make sure and get the controls with readouts. I didn't, so about every 3 weeks i'll wakeup with a sore back and then i know it's time to pump it back up a little.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
no .. no issues there wrt losing pressure.. but I do have the readouts.
gus
I had one for about 12 years, before they were avaialbe with readouts, and they were called sleep comfort I think. By the end, they were losing air so fast, and the top and side foams were so degraded, the pillowtop was trashed, it was a nightmare. Bed is guaranteed for 20 years right? It's like tires, prorated heavily. We wound up with like a $500 discount off the next one.

Pass. I went back to a spring bed. It took a few weeks adjusting back for sure, but a quality spring matress will stand up to the sleep number imho.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts