IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rep. Tom Butler, (R) from Onterio has a new bill. HB2473, orders ODFW to buy 10% of their trout from private run hatcheries. That means the Dept has to take 10% of there budget for hatcheries and spend it on private hatcheries. That also means that hatcheries that raise St head and salmon and trout, will have good reason to close. I know that there are a couple of private trout hatcheries in Rep.Butlers dist.but come on why make the dept. spend money they do not have to spend. They already raise all the trout we need. It will just make the cost of raising St Head and Salmon higher. That is just what Oregon Trout and the other groups need for ammunition. When will it ever end?! I hope you all agree that this is a bad bill, and will let Rep. Butler know. [email protected]-- Tom has told me more than once that he does not want to see hatcheries close. Let's let him know how we feel. thanks. Jerry

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know you all are tired of hearing about hatcheries closing, but I hope you will write letters on this. If HB2473 passes it will be another nail in the coffin. I know I am about ready to tell all to close the hatcheries and forget it. I'm am tired of the battle. I do know that if we have no hatchery fish, the lic. and tag sales will drop and ODFW will go broke. Maybe I will give up fishing and take up sex. Whoooppssss my wife just told me to stick with fishing.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
ODFW has had legislative direction, if not an actual passed bill, that has required purchsing a certain percentage (10%?) of the stocker trout from private hatcheries for some time now. Desert Springs Hatchery near Summer Lake has received much or most of the orders so far, I think, including the large trout going into Diamond Lake. Is this bill is an extension of the status quo? :whazzup:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Just emailed Rep Butler with my own questions - What is the reasoning behind this bill? Are privately raised stock better economically for the taxpayers of Oregon? Will purchasing 10% of fish stocks from private sources result in an overall decrease in the operating costs of the hatcheries? Does this help with the genetic diversity of our fish stocks? Are there private hatcheries in your district who donated to your campaign? Aren't there bigger concerns in Oregon right now like funding schools, police agencies, crime labs etc.?

I too will share whatever response I get, although I doubt a Rep from Ontario will take a request from Hillsboro seriously as I can not vote for him.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Jerry,

I know sometimes a representative introduces a bill at the request of a constituent, knowing it will not hold up. I don't know Butler, but it sounds as if he may be doing just that. Sometimes it's just part of their job as a rep to do that. I certainly hope this bill doesn't go anywhere, but I don't hold anything against him for introducing it.

The nice lady from Tillamook (?) from our first foray to the capitol somehow doesn't fit into that category. :hoboy:

Just a thought.

Skein

·
Registered
140 Posts
GutShotApe is right, the state has been buying trout for several years now. The intent was to spread some of the dollars into the private sector. The private fish farmers can raise fish cheaper, and the dollars help the economy. The original plan was to raise the level from 10% to 25% by 2007 (I believe). Yes Desert Springs has capitalized on this legislation as they supply triploid trout to not only Oregon but also Nevada. The effect has been that the majority of DS's trout now all go to the states; where they used to be a major supplier for private ponds. The resulting shortage of trout available to private buyers has raised purchase costs significantly as there is a shortage of availability. The state compounded this shortage when they shut down Clear Creek Rainbow Ranch's production when they found whirling disease in its ponds. The resulting reality is that Oregon's private sector does not have the capacity to deliver 25% of the state's trout. Due to regulatory impediments, questionable demand, and startup costs it is not likely that a new supplier of trout will jump into the arena. I think it is a good idea that the state move to the private sector, but I don't think it's practical. Now if you take the 2001/2002 brodd year production numbers, and put a value on the trout the state produced, I believe it totals near $1.33 million. I think the state has decreased this number in the past year, but still it seems like a lot of money to shell out for a bunch of meat hunters ( The follow the hatchery truck, and kill every trout we hook gang. )

·
Registered
480 Posts
Just received this from Rep Butler -

This bill is a removal of the sunset provision of a very effective and
highly acclaimed program which the ODF&W has acclaimed to be very
beneficial in past sessions. By planting trophy trout, the department
testified that there was enhanced awareness of fishing in Oregon and
increased license purchases.
If the Department has to continue to both produce and purchase trout,
they will be unable to fund Department private retreats and cost justify
why the Department cannot produce trout like private industry has been
able to provide in the past (two for the price of one).

·
Registered
480 Posts
Here is the whole email string from Rep Butler. I am getting the impression he has an axe to gring with ODFW.

From Mr Butler
HB2473 removes the sunset so that Department will continue to do what
they should have been doing all along: produce more fishable trout.
ODF&W cannot compete with size and efficiency of private industry and
are intimidated by the efficiencies they experience when they see what
they get for the modest price they pay Oregon private hatcheries. In
addition, the DEQ will likely close those state hatcheries which are
polluting native streams and rivers. Private industry cannot afford
that luxury(?) but ODF&W doesn't seem to be concerned with such
stewardship!
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tue 5/6/2003 10:47 AM
To: Rep Butler
Cc:
Subject: RE: HB 2473

Representative Butler,

So, if I understand you correctly, there is currently a program
in which the ODFW purchases trophy trout for stocking that is set to
expire. This bill removes the expiration and forces ODFW to both
purchase and raise fish creating a budget crisis for them thereby
forcing ODFW to explain/discontinue Department Private retreats and
justify publicly (to the legislature) why their cost per fish is double
that of private enterprises. Do I read that correctly?

Thank-you,

John Baxter

Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 10:32 AM
To: John Baxter
Subject: RE: HB 2473

This bill is a removal of the sunset provision of a very
effective and
highly acclaimed program which the ODF&W has acclaimed to be
very
beneficial in past sessions. By planting trophy trout, the
department
testified that there was enhanced awareness of fishing in Oregon
and
increased license purchases.
If the Department has to continue to both produce and purchase
trout,
they will be unable to fund Department private retreats and cost
justify
why the Department cannot produce trout like private industry
has been
able to provide in the past (two for the price of one).

Sent: Tue 5/6/2003 9:18 AM
To: REP Butler
Cc:
Subject: HB 2473

Representative Butler,

I am writing you concerning HB2473 which, it appears,
would
require Oregon Department of Fisheries and Wildlife to purchase
10% of
their fish stock from private hatcheries. What is the reasoning
behind
this bill? Are privately raised stock better economically for
the
taxpayers of Oregon? Will purchasing 10% of fish stocks from
private
sources result in an overall decrease in the operating costs of
the
hatcheries? Does this help with the genetic diversity of our
fish
stocks? Are there private hatcheries in your district who
donated to
your campaign? Aren't there bigger concerns in Oregon right now
funding schools, police agencies, crime labs etc.?

My opinion on the matter is that the fisheries experts
at ODFW
should be allowed to do their job in the best possible manner
without
legislative "help".

At this time I do not see any benefits to this bill
that accrue
to the entire population in the State of Oregon but I am open to
learning. If you or one of your aids would be so kind educate
me on HB
2473 and how it benefits fish stocks and Oregon citizens I would
certainly appreciate it.

Thank-you,

John Baxter
6657 SE Gladys
Hillsboro, Or. 97123

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
This concept is a little new to me, but I've got to ask: Is it just a coincidence that whirling disease showed up in a private (not public) facility? Does this make the hair stand up on the back of anyone else's neck? :shocked:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Nice. You can obviously see that Mr. Butler is completely unbiased. The reason ODFW's hatcheries are polluting is because of recent changes in the criteria and NO money to upgrade the hatcheries. Not because its "OK" for them to pollute.

...oh, and private retreats.......

[ 05-06-2003, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Hoosier Daddy ]

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Too bad normal people don't run for office.

·
Registered
17,003 Posts
Wow, count the factual errors in that message from Rep.Butler:

"In addition, the DEQ will likely close those state hatcheries which are polluting native streams and rivers."

And guys like him (and the folks in Ontario who elected him) think they can govern a state?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Originally posted by garyk:
And guys like him (and the folks in Ontario who elected him) think they can govern a state?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Can't cite the author, or guarantee exact accuracy, but someone once said:
"The people ultimately get the government they deserve." :shrug:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts